'92 SHO in '70 Cougar (questions)

joey_hv

Dec 1, 2008
Hello,
new guy here, A friend from ffcobra.com suggested I come over here and ask my questions, seems some of you may have done this same project I am working on.

I am planning on installing a '92 Ford SHO Taurus engine in my son's '70 Mercury Cougar.
I'm sure the SHO has been installed in other vehicles before so I am wondering if anyone here has done this and what do I need to look for when I install the engine.
I bought a '92 SHO with the wiring harness and computer included.
What sensors need to be installed or bypassed? is there a kit that can be bought somewhere?
Is the Ford Ranger tranny the best one to use or the one from an Aerostar?

lots of questions here... :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

go on ebay and get a factory EVTM for the taurus.ranger and aerostar use the same auto tranny but you don't want the mazda manual in the earlier aerostars.run an m5od from a 3.0 ranger 2wd that has a speedo cable provision (early to mid 90's)

the evtm will tell you what circuits to keep,the rear axle on the later models have a speed sensor so you'll need to consider that too.you can retro fit a speed ring to the yoke or axle swap.

you will need to make an adapter plate to bolt between the aerostar bellhousing and the t5 tranny...easy enough...I made a cardboard template, and cut it out of 1/2" aluminum plate....the pilot bearing is a pita, you need an old 289 pilot bushing machined(turned down) to fit inside the SHO crank....the clutch(other than being hydraulic) needs to use a SHO throwout bearing(you have to make a collar to retain it inside the aerostar throwout bearing assembly) you also need a SHO flywhee, Mustang II V6 clutch disk, and SHO pressure plate...in other words, the swap is a pain in the ass, but I was able to complete mine for the most part(except for the pilot bearing) at home in my garage. One note(other than a 70 cougar being a bit heavy for the SHO torque to easily move) is that SHO parts are discontinued and when you find them they are expensive...for example, a full gasket kit for the engine is $700...the cost of 2 rebuild kits for a 302...you may want to consider a duratec engine, 3.0 or 3.5, you can use the 5 speed from a lincoln LS I think?(or t-bird, cant remember which offhand) the duratec is still in production, parts are relatively cheap, and there is some aftermarket

As a fellow Cougar owner, I'm curious about your motivation. Why not stick with a traditional V8 in that platform? Why go through the hassle and headache of it all, when a 351W will waaaay outperform 3.5 liters of anything........

the SHO engine is definately a nice engine, but having completed the swap(physically at least) I'll be the first to tell you that you would be better off with a 5.0L(if you are concerned about money at all), the Duratec engine is just as capable, the only reason I didnt go with it is simply because it is narrower than the duratec, the SHO engine is actually 5lbs heavier than a 5.0L(which will also make stupid amounts of power with a turbo setup) being diferent is actually the only reason to do the swap, and if you ask me, the duratec is the better choice, makes more power, is lighter, and is still being made

I have heard some concerns over the ultimate strength of the Duratec V6 block, though. If it's true(and I have no idea if it is), the SHO may be a better choice if boost is in the plans.

As an FYI, a 2.3 turbo is no more than 10lbs lighter than a 5.0L. The 2.3T's block doesn't split at 600hp, though.

the stock SHO block can take 700HP...well, supposedly anyway, not that I would test it...regardless, they use a duratec block in the Noble M12, and that makes something like 450 right? I dont know about the ultimate strength of any of the 3, but if you are aiming for huge power....why not start with a big block?

Have there been any reports of anyone actually overpowering an SHO V6 block? Split, mains pulled out, ballooned cylinders, or anything like that?

I have heard reports of the Pushrod Ford V6s like the 3.8 and 4.0L going in excess of 700hp. Just anecdotally, though. It is still a unique engine swap option for a classic....

Here is a list of W strokers available at woody's.....

http://**********************/ford-...rotating-assemblies/351-windsor-stroker-kits/

Again, for the money, my choice is a W. I don't know nothin bout no 3.5l motor in a car as big as a 70 cougar, turbo,blower,nitrous, or whatever.
But I'm also 43 years old, and not rolling in cash.
Yet.

Stupid computer...

F O R D S T R O K E R S D O T C O M. You know where I mean.......

no known reports of any block related issues on the SHO block, but there are very few high powered SHOs....its because the FWD SHO tranny(like all ford FWD trannies) sucks, after 300HP, gears strip out, etc, etc, and while there is a guy who offers cyro treated gears, that only makes them good to about 400ish, I think I once say a dyno of a SHO engine making somewhere in the range of 600HP..

on a diffeent note...on the 2.3L engine weight....do a 16V DOHC conversion...evidently, quite a few people have been succesful at using the volvo head now...should save something like 30lbs I would think...