93cobra intake wont work on a 95?!!

dannydoo

Sep 10, 2004
i know they make an elbow that is suppose to make the fox intake work on the 94/95

there seems to be some debate about the snout of the 93 being longer,so it will offset the throttle cable too far to the left and it wont reach.

also...what about the egr,,,the thermostat cover,,,the temp sensor,,,and all the other stuff?

i know the upper bolts are different,but the lower is the same.

WE KNOW THE INTAKE IS HIGHER AND WILL RUB THE HOOD,AND THE STRUT BRACE WONT FIT OVER IT..THATS A GIVEN..
this is a heated debate and i need the truth....

anyone?

• Sponsors (?)

it will work, RIO5.0 on here has one..... i believe he uses the fox setup though, but i am sure he can tell you ..... maybe he will see this.. pretty knowledgeable guy for sure

jason

thanks jayson...i know it will work..but why does evryone who sells the elbow,say its all thats needed to use a 93 and under intake,if it isnt?

i know theres a problem with the egr stuff that set s it off.

Ahh, I think I see your problem.

I almost have all the pieces to do my fox tb swap, so I've done some research that might help.

First off, the elbow adapter is good for *most* fox intakes. If you were going with a stock '87-'93 GT intake, you would be OK. (not counting strut tower brace). Same goes for a GT-40 intake or most other aftermarket intakes (Edelbrock, Trick Flow, . . .). The problem arises with it being a Cobra intake. The Cobra intake already has the EGR port cast-in to the upper (that's where you get the "longer snout"). The other intakes require an EGR plate that goes between the throttlebody and the intake. When you run a '94-'95 elbow adapter, it has the provisions for the EGR valve in it and you use a '94-'95 throttlebody. Another note, on Fox intakes, there was a water jacket around the EGR plate that heats the intake charge (for emissions reasons) that the send comes from the back of the intake and the return goes to the heater return line. This no longer exists on '94-'95 intakes.

So, here are your choices:
-run a '94-'95 cobra intake (have to buy used)
-run any aftermarket intake (except '93 cobra) with the elbow
-run any aftermarket intake with a fox throttlebody conversion

I hope I cleared things up a bit. It's been a long day and I can't guarantee my coherence.

illwood said:
What do you mean? The Cobra lower is the same as the GT-40/Explorer lower.

The Cobra, GT40, and Explorer all share the same lower intake. The only difference is the 94\95 cobra and 98 and up Explorer do not have the ACT sensor port in back of the #5 runner. On my 93 intake I jsut put a 5\8" pipe plug with thread sealer to block it off. With regards to what Danny was saying, the stock GT, the Cobra, GT40, and Explorer all use the same 5\16-18 x 1.62 lower intake bolts.
Tim

so i cant use this intake?93cobra

90441.jpg

dannydoo said:
so i cant use this intake?93cobra
[/IMG]

You can use the intake, but it will be much more involved than a swap to an Eddy or Trick Flow or even GT40 since in order to use the 93 Cobra intake you MUST do the fox throttle body conversion since the 94\95 adapter elbow will not work with the 93 Cobra intake. The Fox TB conversion is a good thing as people have stated. Rio5.0 told me when I asked him and others about doing the conversion that you'll gain noticeable throttle response with the conversion. You won't be able to just jump in and do the swap as you'll have to gather some fox parts, but it will also clean up the engine bay and you can run EGR without the annoying plumbing which will make servicing the engine a lot easier when it comes to tightening header bolts, or changing plugs, wires, or starters.
To clarify what Matt said, there are no coolant lines on the 93 cobra intake that run to the EGR spacer like there are on 93 and lower Fox GTs as the EGR spacer is built into the 93 Cobra intake whereas it's a seperate piece on the Fox GTs.
Tim

That's too bad. I'm glad 18mustangs was able to finish answering your questions when I wasn't online.

If you don't mind doing the fox conversion here is a listing of parts that you will need.
-Fox throttlebody
-Fox EGR spacer (except on the '93 Cobra intake)
-Fox EGR valve
-Cap for EGR tube on '94-'95 headers (I'm going to do this temporarily until I buy Fox style headers)
-Fox IAC
-Fox throttle bracket
-Fox throttle cable
-Fox cruise cable
-Elbow to go from intake tube to throttlebody

Hope things work out for you.

thanks illwood

you saved me from a second escapade.

thats just not worth the time,unless you really are deperate to use a fox setup.
so much work and alot of extra money spent on stuff thatll cost more than buying the original 95 brand new and polished.

couple dumb questions for illwood.im just having brain lock here right now.what is fox iac?
and also wouldnt you need a fox style tps?also need different plug for it cuz where the tps's plug in on 94-95 and the fox's are different,arent they?

94opalgt said:
couple dumb questions for illwood.im just having brain lock here right now.what is fox iac?
and also wouldnt you need a fox style tps?also need different plug for it cuz where the tps's plug in on 94-95 and the fox's are different,arent they?

This is a Fox IAC, mounted on the Right side of the TB....way different then the 95 part...the 95 plug will plug into the Fox IAC..
And yes you need the Fox TPS...you can see that on top of the TB... you just need to cut/splice in the wires...no biggie...plus these are slick to adjust..

iac_red.jpg

allright rio50 here goes.i notice from the pic that you have no egr,what did you do with the vacuum lines?whats that tube on top of the tb for?where did you get the plug for it?i just bought a 93 cobra intake,had i known i couldnt set it up like 94-95 i wouldnt have bought it,setting these up to run like a fox seems like a big hassle to me.there are other differences in the lower.like on my cars lower intake,drivers side front there's a plug sensor that screws into what appears to be a coolant passage,a wire connects to the top of this.what is this?on the 93 lower the plug is in the #5 air runner,is the plug from the 94 lower supposed to go here?also under the upper there is supposed to be 2 tubes,1 for a vacuum line and one for the pcv,well this thing has one tube and a threaded hole like the one in the lower but i got nothing in the box to thread into it.one more thing about the egr,how do you keep the engine light from coming on?i need big help here before i just say screw it and buy something else.i dont mean to be a pain,but i need to know this stuff before i start on this