94-04 calipers on 67-68

I guess that all comes down to exactly what kind of stock/vintage brakes your classic has. If you have any year of drum then for sure the V6 discs from any SN95 are better. Arguably true if you have the 68-70 single piston discs too. But if you have the 4-piston (Kelsey Hayes?) design I'm gonna say no unless you can increase rotor size. Those designs were awesome, even more so for their day.

yes, i meant the single piston discs and drums. also, like i said the 99-04 GT used the same brakes as the v6, only the cobra got different brakes. i think the early 4 piston k/h brakes and the 2 piston PBR's might be a close race though

• Sponsors (?)

No way you can hook these brackets with standard SN95 calipers. SN95 calipers are deeper and have to deviate on top go at least an inch inside.

Maybe I don't fully understand what you're asking, but these are the brackets Shaun had made to adapt the SN95 Mustang front calipers to the stock early Mustang spindles:

http://www.streetortrack.com/files/images/st/hpbracketcad.jpg

http://www.streetortrack.com/Street-or-Track-High-Performance-Disk-Brake-Kit-Front-pr-23510.html

I'm not sure either.

Apparently he wants someone to provide blueprints/drawings/CAD-files for free so he can have his friend with the CNC equipment make a set for him and he won't have to pay for someone else's IP or effort and time.

:shrug:

Well, hell, if that's what he wants I guess I should just send the drawings for my rear disc conversion brackets so he and his CNC buddy can jump right on copying them, and that will help take some of the uncertainty out of figuring the rears out.

Which setup would you like --the Mk VII, SN95 V6/GT, or Cobra bracket drawings?

I'm afraid if you're wanting to come up with a set of adapter brackets to have machined, you'll have to do it like others of us have done --put the time, effort and expense of figuring it out yourself. (unless you sink low enough pirate the design from someone's existing setup).

That makes no sense to me what so ever. As long as the same hubs are used it should be able to mount all 3 different setups. The only thing the bracket does is locate the stock parts, as far as I know there is no other intermediate bracket. If it mounts one it should mount them all because they all use the same hubs and mount to the same spot on the stock SN95 spindle. If one is located properly then they should all be located properly. Maybe I'm missing something but thats what my logic tells me.

On SN95 Mustangs, both the GT caliper+rotor and the Cobra caliper+rotor combinations bolt to the same spindle and hub. In theory the same would apply to a vintage spindle + MS bracket + drum hub.

However, the GT/V6 caliper interferes with MS's bracket, so it doesn't fit. He had some ideas on how to solve this problem, but I don't know if that project ever materialized. Also, the GT rotors don't fit the vintage drum hubs. You could turn the hubs down, but apparently too much material needs to be removed to consider it safe.

Hope that explains it

On SN95 Mustangs, both the GT caliper+rotor and the Cobra caliper+rotor combinations bolt to the same spindle and hub. In theory the same would apply to a vintage spindle + MS bracket + drum hub.

However, the GT/V6 caliper interferes with MS's bracket, so it doesn't fit. He had some ideas on how to solve this problem, but I don't know if that project ever materialized. Also, the GT rotors don't fit the vintage drum hubs. You could turn the hubs down, but apparently too much material needs to be removed to consider it safe.

Hope that explains it

thanks for explaining why it wouldn't work. i knew it wouldn't but could not remember the exact reason Steve said it wouldn't work. i believe at one time he said it was because of the way he had to clock the calipers created that interference, IIRC

I believe that is why Daze took his brackets off the market. He had brackets that would make the 99-04 (all of these brackets we've been talking about only work on the 99-04, not SN95 which is considered 94-04), but would require machine work to the original drum spindles or hubs. I never found out why it was taken off the market, but he did so a few weeks before I was ready to buy a set to install some 99-04 GT front brakes on my car.
The new 05-08 drums look like a good alternative if you want to keep the 15"-16" wheel as an option, if not, opt for the cobra ones which require the 17" wheel. That is the dilemma I am stuck in now, as I already purchased 15" wheels and tires.
-Edgar

I believe that is why Daze took his brackets off the market. He had brackets that would make the 99-04 (all of these brackets we've been talking about only work on the 99-04, not SN95 which is considered 94-04), but would require machine work to the original drum spindles or hubs. I never found out why it was taken off the market, but he did so a few weeks before I was ready to buy a set to install some 99-04 GT front brakes on my car.
The new 05-08 drums look like a good alternative if you want to keep the 15"-16" wheel as an option, if not, opt for the cobra ones which require the 17" wheel. That is the dilemma I am stuck in now, as I already purchased 15" wheels and tires.
-Edgar

There was a change in brake components on the front calipers of the V6/GT Mustangs between the years '98 going into 1999, (went from single piston, cast-iron front caliper to dual piston aluminum front caliper) but all the Mustang bodies from '94-'04 (Including my '03 Mach 1) were all built on the SN95 platform.

The previous Mustang platform ('79-'93) was the Fox platform. The current Mustang platform (2005-present) is the S197 version.

all the Mustang bodies from '94-'04 (Including my '03 Mach 1) were all built on the SN95 platform.

The previous Mustang platform ('79-'93) was the Fox platform. The current Mustang platform (2005-present) is the S197 version.

total accuracy.

The fox platform was originally designed for the Fairmont, remember those? LOL.

The Mustang II was based on the Pinto chassis too...oooops.

Of course our beloved early models were merely Falcons :D

total accuracy.

The fox platform was originally designed for the Fairmont, remember those? LOL.

The Mustang II was based on the Pinto chassis too...oooops.

Of course our beloved early models were merely Falcons :D

Yep, Fairmont/Fairmont Futura (and the Mercury version of the Fairmont --the Zephyr) ran from 1978-1983 built on the Fox platform.

The '81-'82 Granada and also the later T-Bird & Cougars of the era were also built on the Fox platform as well.

I didn't know about the T-Bird, must've been the square ones that were out before the "aero" look (1985?) that dominated NASCAR for a while. The new T-Bird is based on a Lincoln chassis I think, so is the new Stang.

I want not only SN95 calipers but also SN95 rotors on the classic hub. These brackets are for non-SN95 rotors, which explains the misunderstanding.

Maybe I don't fully understand what you're asking, but these are the brackets Shaun had made to adapt the SN95 Mustang front calipers to the stock early Mustang spindles:

http://www.streetortrack.com/files/images/st/hpbracketcad.jpg

http://www.streetortrack.com/Street-or-Track-High-Performance-Disk-Brake-Kit-Front-pr-23510.html

Well if that person values his ingenuity so much perhaps applied nanomechanics shoudl be his or maybe her field. I don't think it is fair to ask money for such simple idea, which is not even an idea but a matter of accurate measurement. But there are always people who want to make money on anything fortunately owner of this forum is not one of them

Well, hell, if that's what he wants I guess I should just send the drawings for my rear disc conversion brackets so he and his CNC buddy can jump right on copying them, and that will help take some of the uncertainty out of figuring the rears out.

Which setup would you like --the Mk VII, SN95 V6/GT, or Cobra bracket drawings?

I'm afraid if you're wanting to come up with a set of adapter brackets to have machined, you'll have to do it like others of us have done --put the time, effort and expense of figuring it out yourself. (unless you sink low enough pirate the design from someone's existing setup).

I highly doubt that anyone is going to sit down take measurements and make a CAD drawing of their brackets for you. That is if anyone around here is using the brackets you want. I am sure that none of the vendors have any interest in giving away their plans, just like ford wouldn't give away their own designs to anyone that ask for them, and most people who have purchased these specific brackets already have installed them on their cars. So proper measurements would require them to remove their brakes and bracket to measure them for you. Is that what you are asking someone on this forum to do for you?

If you are dead set on CNC'ing your own brackets, figure it out yourself or buy a set and reverse engineer it.