94 5.0 upgrades

pumperdriver

Jun 11, 2009
southern md
Looking for help from anyone. Iam new to the Mustang world ( but an old school 80's drag racer so I do have an understanding) and I just acquired a 94 5.0 5 Sp Man. w/ 82,000 miles. The car had some work done...410 gears, underdrive pulleys, 70mm throttle body, x pipe exhaust,ram air. I think that about covers it. I need opinions from anyone regarding some more upgrades and combinations I can do to the 5.0 Iam not looking for a street killer by no means. Its not a daily driver, just a present I bought myself after taking care of everyone else in my life for the last 2 years. I do want a gear drive, I enjoy the whine. Just not sure about other minor modifications like intake, cam..ect. Not sure about the right combos. I do think after driving the car home 50 miles from the sellers house and burned over a quarter tank of fuel that maybe it is geared too high. Should I gear it down to 3:73? Should I leave the 4:10? I just want a fun car to drive and need some opinions. Looking for "straight Line Power " Any input and help will be greatly appreciated....Mike

• Sponsors (?)

Welcome Mike,

FWIW, we have a 94-95 sub-forum here. There are a lot of intricacies and differences between the Fox III's and IV's, so using that sub-forum can be helpful.

Is it a stick? If so and you do a ton of highway driving, that's the only way I'd consider dropping down from the 4.10's (and I still would probably not do it. Swapping down to 3.73's will only save a couple hundred RPM at highway speeds).

The gauges are not too accurate, so don't decide anything till doing some MPG calc's.

Share your desires for the car (straight-line power, corner carver, etc) and that will help people tailor their answers.

Good luck and enjoy!

"straight Line Power "
If you want to go fast in a straight line, the 4.10's will get the job done.

However, the 3.73's will be a better ''all around'' gear compared to the 4.10's.

As for what combo to do, and cams, heads and the like...it is all about what you want from the car.

There are TONS of threads here about head, cam, intake combo's and what's good with which set-up. Just do a search and you should be able to find lots of info.

One piece of advice I will give...if you are going to do a cam swap you should plan on doing at least a set of heads at the same time. That way, you only have to tear it apart once.

Welcome to StangNet!

I had 3:73 and 4:10 in my old fox bodies. My first gear was basically useless. Highway driving was always above 3000rpm. Now I have 3:08 gears and enjoy them more. I never run out of gear. It is a little slower to launch but highway driving is alot more pleasant. I can suggest a 3:55. It is in the middle and will pick up some mpg.

Go with a 3.73's in a 5spd.

At least the exhaust is done. Stock exhaust is the most restrictive thing on the Mustang. It is smaller in some places than others. It goes from 2.25" at it's max down to 1-7/8" in others and 1-7/8" in the mufflers.

How deep is your wallet?

Sounds like you've been down this road before....you should know all to well that that question is a huge variable in this game.

Tools, mechanical aptitude, these may be subfactors of the aformetioned question.

I always like to say get any mechaincal/maintenacne issues resolved first...basic tune up, tires, brakes, clear out all the nit noid problems that will add to your car being a pain in the but when it won't start due to a cam swap.

Have a plan stick with it, don't spend the money twice.

Or .....just throw 150 shot on with a bigger fuel pump, take out all the extra weight, put on some slicks and skinnies go racing and have fun!!

Good luck