94-95 spindles vs. 96-98 spindles for front 5 lug conversion

Hey Guys,

I'm trying to find out what is really fact and what is fiction on the difference between 94-95 spindles and 96-98 front spindles. Some people say that the 96-98 SN95 5-lug conversion comes out a little more than the 94-95 SN95 5-lug conversion on a fox body Mustang. Some have never heard of it. I work 10 minutes away from MPS and Gregg and I had both of 'em out and there are differences but as far as one sitting in further than the other we just didn't see it. Is there something I'm missing? I currently have the 96-98 SN95 5-lug conversion on my 85 Notch and I'd like to do the SN95 conversion on my daily driven '92 notch. The bullitts fit great on on the 85 but I want to fit the new 17x8 03-04 Cobra wheels on the front of the 92 and they have less backspacing by .50" so they will stick out further. I think it's too snug for my taste. But if the 94-95 spindles bring it in even a little - it'll work better.

Can somebody help me out with this?

Thanks,
John

• Sponsors (?)

...8mm...is that 8mm further out on each side or 4mm out on each side.

Well, I guess I'll find out. I'm gonna buy the 94-95s either way. If they give me a little extra room - I'll keep the bullitts on the 85 coupe and put AFS wheels 17x8 03-04 Cobra wheels up front and the stock 17x9 03-04 Cobras out back. I'll also make sure to post my findings with exact measurements. I always see a lot of guys asking about wheel/tire fitments - how wide, how much backspacing or offset. Somebody really needs to do an article on this. I'd be happy to help.

John

Reactions: 1 user
heres pics of my 85 with 95 gt front spindles, rotors, calipers and struts.. my wheels are 17 x 8 polished bullits with factory bullit offset. Hope this helps a little for your decision.

Attachments

• 85530272_270224858_0.jpg
    85530272_270224858_0.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 2,501
  • 85482615_270063747_0.jpg
    85482615_270063747_0.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 2,932
i already have a five lug conversion ( lincoln) but i was thinking about switching to the sn95 because of wheel fitment, if i do will i have to swap out my struts for those of a 94/95? ( sorry for the noob question)

jmd2914 said:
i already have a five lug conversion ( lincoln) but i was thinking about switching to the sn95 because of wheel fitment, if i do will i have to swap out my struts for those of a 94/95? ( sorry for the noob question)

You dont have too switch struts, I did in my case because I used the 01 Bullitt Suspension pieces, but Fox Struts are fine.

Now that is a good looking two-tone. I normally hate them but those are great complimentary colors.

thanks for the compliment. it has a charcoal stripe at the break also.. the engine bay and jams match.

The only reason I used the 95 struts was because they were included in the purchase of the spindles and such, plus, my stock struts were shot.

Why is everyone making such a huge deal about this? I am curious. To all the people that say he better have the right wheels or OMG it will look retarded, have you ever seen or done a car with the 96-98 spindles? I have them with 245/45/17 and they look fine. As a matter of fact, they look better and are better because you do not have to grind the spindle if you want to add 99+ calipers, and let's not forget the handling benefits as well.

I forget the specifics but it's a big difference. Some front suspension kits actually recommend you change from 94-95 to 96+ spindles to work with their kits.

the 96's stick out 8mm PER SIDE more than 94-95.

It is unknown if the 94-95 spindles are EXACTLY the same track as the Fox. It's internet myth, but some have said they 94-95's do psh the wheels out slightly

5LugFoxFanatic said:
Why is everyone making such a huge deal about this? I am curious. To all the people that say he better have the right wheels or OMG it will look retarded, have you ever seen or done a car with the 96-98 spindles? I have them with 245/45/17 and they look fine. As a matter of fact, they look better and are better because you do not have to grind the spindle if you want to add 99+ calipers, and let's not forget the handling benefits as well.

You only have to grind on the Spindle if you are going to put standard PBR Calipers on, there is enough clearance for, Cobras, Mach 1s, Bullitts. It has been my experience that 94/95 Spindles are wider than stock, so adding 96-98 is just going to widen it more. As far as the Bumpsteer issue goes, as long as you use 91-93 tie rod ends there will be NO issue with Bumpsteer on 94/95 Spindles.

GroverDill said:
Bumpsteer will happen on any car that is lowered a good bit. I also run the 96 spindles on my 93. "looks retarded" has never been mentioned to me.

93GTFFF4.jpg

93GTFFF6.jpg

An above Post said there were handling benefits to 96-98 Spindles, the only thing I am aware of is Bumpsteer, the issue never got into dropping the car in the weeds which will cause Bumpsteer no matter which Spindles are on.

The '94-95 spindles are different from the modular '96+ units. The '94-95 units have a curved steering arm and keep the stock track width on a fox3 car. These are the spindles that most people use on the fox3 cars to keep the stock track width. The '96+ units have a straight steering arm and will increase the track ~8mm per side. The '96+ units will give you even more ackerman steering and allows to run the '00R brake cooling ducts or other brake cooling systems. You may need to run a bumpsteer kit to use the SN95 spindles, especially if your car is lowered!

http://sn95brakes.cjb.net/