94/95 STANG Ford Recall

MustangGTee

Feb 7, 2004
I recenty rec'd a recall from Ford for my 95 Gt, for a 'Coolant Fan Relay'. Ok, I usually do all my own work, but figured, what the hell, it's free, and an update, I'll go for it. Ironically, while I'm there, there's another guy there that just had the same thing done the day before, but his car overheated since then , so he brought it back. Well, guess what... mine nearly redlined today. The coolant fan won't come on even by kickin on the a/c. SOooo.. I removed the 'new' relay they installed ( in the between the harness and the fan itself) and tried again while the engine was still toasty. Nothing. So I called the dealerto see if there was any familiar or common problems after the update, of course, he says no, ' but you can bring it in next week'. DAMMIT!! The fan always kicked on before without a hitch, never a problem, and now this. I feel like I've been baited for further work, I hate it.,,and I will not go back to a dealership. Anyone else run across this yet?????
I'll check for easy stuff tomorrow...fuses, juice at the harness, even hotwire the fan, see if it's dead. Just too much of a coincidence the guy before me had the same comeback. HELP! Thanks gang!

• Sponsors (?)

Joe will chime in on this I'm sure as his car nearly caught on fire. The recall is due to the bearings in the fan siezing up and causing an overload and thus fire. All the recall does is put a breaker in the power wire line so that when the bearing do sieze the breaker trips... but you fan is still shot... freaking cheap ass ford!!! I just got my recall leter in the mail, but I'm not sure what I'm going to do about it yet.

On a side note, my electric fan has stopped working on me twice since I've owned the car, both times it was the ECT sensor in the hard coolant line (its right by the thermostat housing). As soon as I replace the sensor, the fan works again. The sensor cost me like $20 at autozone. Make sure you get a "metal" sensor and not the crappy plastic ones some stores sell.

They are still sending me those recall notices for the last 3 years. They seem to track me down everywhere I move!
I have heard it is not even worth the time to take it to the dealer and your ride will be even worse when you leave. My fan has never had any problems and I also have it wired to a manual switch. :nice:

FAN

Killercanary said:
Joe will chime in on this I'm sure as his car nearly caught on fire. The recall is due to the bearings in the fan siezing up and causing an overload and thus fire. All the recall does is put a breaker in the power wire line so that when the bearing do sieze the breaker trips... but you fan is still shot... freaking cheap ass ford!!! I just got my recall leter in the mail, but I'm not sure what I'm going to do about it yet.

On a side note, my electric fan has stopped working on me twice since I've owned the car, both times it was the ECT sensor in the hard coolant line (its right by the thermostat housing). As soon as I replace the sensor, the fan works again. The sensor cost me like $20 at autozone. Make sure you get a "metal" sensor and not the crappy plastic ones some stores sell.
Paul....... Thanks for the reply ! I did the usual voltage tests today and found no juice at the fan mtr itself. Funny thing is, I run a parts store... so I'm off to pick up the ECt sensor now and give it a shot. Will post my results! Thanks for the feedback! :spot:

373's !

wytstang said:
I received that recall 2 years ago, so I took it to ford and the strangest thing happend. Some how :shrug: I letf there with 3.73 installed for $100 :D . I worked at ford three years go so I know all the tech's their and still get my employee discount :nice:
DAMN! That's my next biggy investment is gears. Kid I work with just did 373's in his 88 GT... it really kicks ass now, I love it.

I had the recall done and mine boiled over on the way home. I called the dealer and they said it was something else wrong with my car and couldn't be the recall part. For some reason the fan comes on at first when you crank up the car and it warms up the first time, but once the fan shuts off it will not come back on. I took my car to the dealer they checked it back out and said nothing was wrong because they didn't drive it. They just cranked it to see if the fan came on and it did. I drove it off got less than a mile down the road and I notice the temp started climbing so I took it back to the dealer and let it boil over in their garage. They couldn't figure out what was wrong so I pulled the recall piece off and it has worked fine ever since.

[/U]PROBLEM SOLVED! Thanks Paul..... Great call. The ECT, or generically speaking, the 'coolant temp sensor' was the culprit. I threw it in this afternoon, started the car and installed grills on my subs while the a/c ran. Within 5 minutes I heard the coolant fan kick in. SWEET ! ...........And I kept the recall relay out of the harness. I'll take my chances! Thanks again for the help!!!

Glad to hear that's all it was Bob!!! For some reason I've already had 2 go bad on me, and my car only has 63K miles on it. I'd still reconcider the recall because if the bearings seize up, you could be facing a fire, the breaker will prevent that from happening.

I just had this problem with my car, damn fan did almost catch fire. It seized up.
But the dealership is telling me its not a recall on my car? It's so strange...
Will they pay for a new fan if the problem happened already and I didn't get it replaced before it happend or are they obliged to replace it?

I need to trace the fan circuit - I recall a 60 amp fuse in the box. I wonder what it's for though - it doesnt seem to be stopping meltdowns. :D

Ha, I didn't realize they had a recall for that. My fan motor burnt up about 2 years ago. I was driving and started to smell an electrical fire type smell, so I pulled over and smoke was comin out of the front of the hood. Needless to say I was freaked. I just reached down and unplugged the harness, stopped at advance auto parts on the way home to order a new fan motor, and finished the drive home. I just shut the car off at long red lights lol.

i had that recall done and un-did it. that breaker they put in mine would turn the fan off and never let it turn back on. i figure its easier to get insurance to give me money for my car if it ever caught fire(sometimes i wish it would and then i wouldn't have the 17,000 dollar and climbing headache.) than it would be to get money from someone for an overheated boat or in my case jet ski anchor.