94 gt motor vibration

texmirage

Dec 28, 2007
Sorry about this repost.... put it in the wrong section.
Background on me:
Had this mustang for about 6 years. Never had to work on it cuz nothing ever broke, so I have limited knowledge about mustangs. Was into DSM's then motorcycles. Now I decided to start modding the mustang with some basic mods. .
Back ground on the car:

5.0 5 speed. 270k on the original motor. x pipe,flow, msd blaster. Car was running fine. The other day I go it alittle comming out of a parking lot. Car sounded like a pop out of the exhaust. Looked back and alot of black smoke, like a 18wheeler. It is not smoking or lossing water now. Any way now the motor vibrates hard under accelleration idles ruff. Plug spark is good. They look like they are burning good.

Do these motors jump timming?

In all honesty, it feels like something is out of balance. but not sure what to look for.

one more thing I forgot to mention....
if I rev it hard I hear whinning or draggin noise as the RPM's fall. it coming from right behind the curve going into the intake.
then I ran across this on you tube
"does it want to stutter when its first started or when u put it in the gear those are common symptoms of your idle air controller going bad"

I Sorry for not discribing this very well. and thanks any help up front

• Sponsors (?)

check your balancer to make sure it is good. make sure there is no rubber pushing out. i doubt the IAC would contribute to the black smoke. you could also do a compression check to make sure nothing internal went pop.

Check the timing.
If it is not where you last put it, the outer ring of the balancer spun.

The timing chain is a possible culprit, but if they jump, it's usually enough to keep the engine from running.

The IAC symptoms you mention are not as severe as what you describe.

I am with killer and think your balancer ring spun.
If so, it's time for a balancer.

My 94 did it when I hit a bump, and began shaking the engine a bit.
Then everytime I hit a fair size bump after that, it would spin more.
So, sometimes it spun into balance and would run well, sometime it would spin 90* out and shake your fillings from your teeth. It just depended. Drove it like that for a month.

Other thing you might try is clean the MAF.
They are supposed to make nasty things happen if they get cruddy.

Edit:
I'd also like to say that the black smoke symptom is probably different than the shaking.
My opinion would be that the pop from the exhaust and shock to the engine from the pop caused the balancer to spin. In other words: The balancer spun is not what caused the first symptom.

For the original backfire that in theory caused your balancer to spin (assuming this is true)...
That could have been caused by a bad o2 sensor.
They say a bad o2 sensor causes the car to run rich.
The build up of rich exhaust in the exhaust is what causes an exhaust backfire.

balancer or not 270k miles is running on borrowed time. If you like your car I'd suggest you start looking for an engine replacement sooner than later. If you get a backup motor yours will probably last forever.. if you're luck is anything like mine anyway..lol

thanks for all the input guys... I figure 17 years is pretty good out of a motor, and thats not to say this one is done yet.

I think you guys have hit it dead on. As I said in the OP it seems out of balance or loose. I'll look into it tonight.

Just to be clear(for me), you guys do mean the harmonic balancer right?
I do have another motor at home. :) gt 40 heads,Intake, just picked up an e cam and trying to find some springs and RR. for it. Its a used motor but less then 100 on the clock. basically H/I/C with exhaust. and im done. modding it.

I'll do that over the weekend. I needed to get it on the road for tomorrow. But I do think there is a timming issue. Car feels sloooooooow. I'll probably put a new t-chain set and water pump on it. it has run at the half way point for a good while.

good to here :)

Update went ahead put a timing chain and water pump on the car. My plan was to change the T-chain but i was curious to see if the timing was off. didn't jump a tooth or anything but the chain had a TON of slack in it.PUmp seemed to be fine I just changed it cuz it was off already

I set the timing to 14 and it was SLOOOOOOOW. did some adjusting on he test drive. car runs awesome. but still runs hot.
thats enought for one day.