94 gt problems?

emanonsc2

Dec 25, 2012
hello, im new to the site and also to the mustang world. i just recently sold my baby (99 vfr800) and picked up this 94 gt. the guy told me once it warmed up it had problems starting and his michanic told him it was the fuel pump, so i was like well i can change a fuel pump so i still bought the car. well the next day i swapped out the fuel pump with a brand new one and guess what, still the same damn problem. ive ben researching for over an hour now and it seems like this is happening to every ones mustang but for some reason no one can give an exact answer to fixing it. so im going to tell u guys exactly whats going on.
i wake up in the morning and start the car, it starts and idles fine. i let it sit for about 5 min then turn it off. i try to start it again and it just cranks and cranks until i push the gas pedal to the floor. it then starts but bogs down and dies. i start it again and i can keep it going by pumping the pedal and once i get it to about 3k rpms and hold it there for about 30 sec i can let off the pedal and it will stay running but it stays idled at 2500 rpm. so then i take it for a short drive and the whole time its boging down and wont realy go pasted 3k rpms with it flored. so like i said i replaced the fuel pump ( seemed to make it worse if that helps) and i cleaned the maf. ive checked for spark and its good ( shocked the crap out of myself lol) and i pushed down on that thing that looks like a tire valve on the fuel rail and fuel came out. sorry this is so long but every one els seems to only give a short sumery of the symtoms and expects people to know exactly what the problem is. also i know i suck at spelling so dont dog me lol thanks

• Sponsors (?)

i know it sounds stupid but if you still have catalytic coverter check them when its running if they are bright red then they are clogged even if they dont turn red the could still be getting clogged up with the car being almost 20 years old

ok so the cats have been hollowed out, i just got done replacing the fuel filter and fpr. its still doing the same stuff. when i did get it to start up i reved it up to 4k and held it there for a bit and alot of fuel came out of my mufflers? i thought the fpr was supose to stop that?

Is there any smell or signs of gas at the FPR vacuum line? Definitely shouldn't be any odor. Just so you know, pressing the throttle to the floor shuts off the injectors while cranking. It's called "flood clear mode". As there can be many things at play you should pull the trouble code. This is a link to a site on how to and the other option is to buy a reader for about $25. Also make sure the battery to engine and engine to chassis grounds are clean and tight. The MAF may be bad so cleaning won't help if that's the case. The purpose of pulling the codes is to see if the computer has stored any trouble codes. It will help to focus the search of possible causes.

i cleaned the maf, there is a strong odor of gas comeing from the fpr hose, i work over nights 12 hour shifts so im not off till sunday, ill buy a code reader then and pull the codes. its looks llike the dizzy is brand new, do u guys think mabe the guy i bought the car from installed it wrong? what els could be causing fuel to be comeing out of my exhaust?

Raw fuel should not come out the exhaust. If anything it will ignite and sound like backfiring.
Most likely you have condensed air moisture spitting out the tail pipes.
If it truly is fuel coming out the exhaust you could have a weak spark. Maybe a bad coil.
Have a look under the distributor cap and look at the rotor. Are the connectors clean?
Check the ignition timing. If it is less or more than 10-14 degrees that can make it harder to start the car.
What kind of fuel you running? Try running 87 octane.
A bad MAF will make the engine default to limp mode which can make it a pain to start the car.
You can test this by unplugging the MAF and see if the engine runs differently. If no change then you possibly have a bad MAF sensor.
Make sure you don't have any vacuum or exhaust leaks.
Check the sparkplugs. Are they fouled up with black gunk?
How's the air filter look?

Just a list of things to check out. ;)

The only thing I can think of is ruptured FPR.
One thing is for sure, if you believe fuel is going through raw like that, you need to stop running it, fix it, and change the oil before running it again. Raw fuel will do all sorts of nasty things to your engine.

i cleaned the maf, there is a strong odor of gas comeing from the fpr hose,

If you are referring to the vacuum line that runs to the FPR then the regulator has a ruptured diaphragm and is shot. MAFs like most parts will eventually fail. You need to pull the trouble codes from the computer to see what the computer has logged otherwise when it comes to electrical parts you are just guessing.

i posted this on a similiar thread but my aeromotive FPR died on me completely and what caught my eye was that the fuel pressure would drop to zero after the fuel pump kicked off. but to start the car i would have to floor the pedal and it would crack pop black smoke and the instant i let off the gas it would die. fuel lines should stay pressurized after the pump kicks off.

i posted this on a similiar thread but my aeromotive FPR died on me completely and what caught my eye was that the fuel pressure would drop to zero after the fuel pump kicked off. but to start the car i would have to floor the pedal and it would crack pop black smoke and the instant i let off the gas it would die. fuel lines should stay pressurized after the pump kicks off.
I learned something new today that is an interesting tid-bit, and slightly related to your post...
When the TPS reads wide open throttle during starting, the ECM shuts down the fuel injectors.

I learned something new today that is an interesting tid-bit, and slightly related to your post...
When the TPS reads wide open throttle during starting, the ECM shuts down the fuel injectors.

See i've read that a couple times too......now you guys are making me doubt myself.......maybe i would crank the car over and once it would start i'd floor it to keep it alive.....but i'm going to go to the driveway and test this theory tomorrow....

alright i tried cranking my car with the pedal floored......it wouldn't start......so to back pedal and change my story, i must've started my car and then had to floor it to keep it "alive". So both you and toyman were right!

Check the intake air temperature sensor. When they get crudded up they will not report properly and won't throw a code. This is called an "in range failure" and the computer will react to it because the PCM doesn't know the input is incorrect. On these models, the self diagnostics will only report open or short conditions. It would also behoove you to check the engine temperature sensor as well.