94 headers

brandin28

Oct 25, 2003
i got a 94 gt and im just starting mods now and i was wondering what kind brand headers are the best im most likely gonna go with shorties, and then an off road pipe i also wanted to no if i should go for H or X thanks guys

• Sponsors (?)

I bought mac equal lengths and their h-pipe. I don't know from experience but people say that equal lengths help keep your torque up and the h-pipe sounds more like an old muscle car vice the x which sounds a little more exotic. I hope to get my exhaust parts in soon so I can hear it...

in all honesty, the headaches that come with equal lengths outweigh the horsepower gain over unequal shorties. installation is more of a pain, spark plug changes are more of a pain, and you are constantly running the risk of burning plug wires.

Welcome to the boards.

DONT get equals if youre getting shorties. They are too much of a PITA and you will burn plug wires.

I would fork out the additional $$ for the Ceramic coated ones. They keep heat out of the engine better. Mine are 8 years old and still look new. I have FMS unequal ceramic coated shorties.
I have an xpipe, but I dont think it REALLY matters which one. grrrr says that the X sounds more like an exotic car, but I really dont know what that means, but he hasnt heard my car, b/c mine sounds like a Mustang.

Good Luck
RC

installation isn't a pain if your motor's already on a stand (rebuild). As for burning spark plugs, well, I'll contend with that when the time comes. And, at the risk of sounding redundent I'll quote myself..."I don't know from experience but people say..." To each their own.

grrrrrrr said:
....."I don't know from experience but people say..." To each their own.

Sorry grrrrr...I didnt phrase that reply properly. I meant that "from your post..", not that "you said..." :flag:
Vib can attest to the PITA of the Equals, and Green94 already did...when I typed my post, he had not yet replied... :rlaugh: that he attested as I was replying.
RC

grrrrrrr said:
just curious though, how much of an advantage do equal lengths have over unequal shorties?
Probably depends on other mods..

But I guarantee you wont FEEL the difference. Probably a couple ponies on a dyno. NOW, if youre talking about LONG TUBES, and you have some power mods, you will feel a difference.

RC

I have BBK Equals, they are a pain like others have said, but they were on the car when I got it. If you are solid on getting shorties, get the unequals, ceramic coated from either BBK or FMS. Longtubes will have the best performance gain if you decided on going with them. H-pipes tend to have the deep, throaty sound while the X-pipe tends to be a little on the revvy, raspy sound. The muffler will also effect the sound greatly, stay with chambered mufflers on the H-pipe and bullet style muffler with the X-pipe.