95 5.0 Gt40p Hci Build

95ssn95

Nov 4, 2008
Missouri
Well a week after PowerTour and when I wanted to have this done, I've finally started....
Thanks to 95BlueStallion for a set of Thumper GT40p heads, custom cam, 1.72 scorpion rocker and other goodies you will be seeing soon, I am very excited to be doing more than just a bolt on this time. The plan is to have this project done by the end of this weekend. I'll continue to post everyday that I work on it, let's hope that's not too many days cuz I may start doing this.....:bang:, but I suspect that if any problems do arise there's plenty of veteran knowledge 'round herr:SN:

Enough talk...... here's what i'm up to
*Built a sturdy frame to pull the motor
*Bench is loaded with parts
*Engine stand ready

IMAG0181.jpg

*Rambo(my dog) wondering what I'm doing..
*bottom right is 460 Heads and intake from the boat(dropped a valve :fuss: )
IMAG0179.jpg

*Small work space but, it gets the job done
IMAG0186.jpg

* Just a vid so I can remember what it sounded like b4
View attachment 148094

*Ready to tear it down
IMAG0188.jpg

*A buddy of mine that came over to lend a hand, literally only one, haha
IMAG0191.jpg

*This is where I am as of right now..
IMAG0196.jpg

*Up next: Drain fluids, unbolt trans and Pull it!

Throw-back thread from when 95BlueStallion did this:
http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-for...ons-head-swap-pic-thread.816486/#post-8221308

• Sponsors (?)

Ah good question, because it's more fun! and yes convenience for installing the cam and to replace a squeaky throw out bearing, plus 95BlueStallion sent me a new oil pump and shaft that will be going in also.

Looks like you will be having fun my friend. I will definitely say its alot easier to pull the motor than to do H/C/I with the motor in the car still. I ran into some problems and it ended up taking me about 4 days with the motor in the car bc of minor problems i kept running into that would have been easier with it out already.

Cant wait to see it all together! I never had the pleasure of running that Ed Curtis cam. :( Just for giggles, here is a link to a video of my car with your parts runing with the stock cam. My wife and sister in law were in a rental Chevy HHR, and had it floored trying to keep up. After watching it just now, I miss that car. I did a lot of work to it over the years.

http://s298.photobucket.com/albums/mm276/Iowabiggun/?action=view&current=Mustangburnout.mp4

By the way, how is it coming? I just realized you started this on Wednesday, and havent updated it. I know how that goes, as you are busy working and not taking pictures and stopping to post. Gives you more respect for those that take the time to make nice progress threads, huh?

The end of last week my attention turned to the passing of my uncle I havent done much to exciting, heads are on, oil pump and new timing chain along with that cam :rolleyes:. should be getting the rockers bolted down and the intake on shortly. i'm thinking i may need some .030 shims, heres the progress...
IMAG0205.jpg

Looks like you will be having fun my friend. I will definitely say its alot easier to pull the motor than to do H/C/I with the motor in the car still. I ran into some problems and it ended up taking me about 4 days with the motor in the car bc of minor problems i kept running into that would have been easier with it out already.

4 days? lol i can do a cam swap in a few hours with it in the car. not sure why it was so hard?

Wasn't that it was hard. If you read I said I ran into more problems than expected and it would have been alot easier to fix other things with it being out of the car. Not just the H/C/I swap. Had to drill out and helicoil threads and wait for more parts that I previously wouldn't have expected to replace when doing a HCI swap

If you have a lot of little things to do, it's just easier to take it out of the car. Expecially if you have to do some helicoil work. That is back braking work.

Kurt

Scott, did you already get the proper length hardened pushrods? Im sure you will want a random collection of shims for under the rockers, as I remember they didnt all use the same thickness. Sorry to hear about your uncle.

Ranger Joe, the heads were ported and polished by Mike at Thumper Performance of Orange Park, FL. He did not flow them for me, but said they would flow very similar numbers to box stock trickflow 170cc heads. I am very interested to see how Scott's car runs with the combo all put together.

Hey guys back with and update. The motor is back in. with .030 shims the rockers torqued down at about 1/4 to 3/8 of a turn, too little preload for me. the valve train sounds like poo. I ordered some 6.300 comp cam push rods. Here are some pics and a little vid just for you nick

port matching the explorer lower
IMAG0207.jpg

a little paint
IMAG0208.jpg

power washed and cleaned up
IMAG0211.jpg

IMAG0212.jpg

IN like mullets in the 80's
IMAG0213.jpg

IMAG0214.jpg

[URL=http://s1143.photobucket.com/albums/n640/Scott_Schulte/?action=view&current=VIDEO0026.mp4]
View attachment 147583

I'll be back...[/URL]

The car is still at Imperial Dyno:neat: . Thought it would be done by now but the chip showed up around 2pm yesterday from ups. The guy tuning it had the car idling pretty darn good but was fiddling with the IAC and TPS. Hope to get it back today.......
IMAG0235.jpg

Dude, whats the latest with the car? Ive been without my laptop, and my wife's kindle wont let me respond to posts! Didnt mean to leave you hanging. Im guessing you will fall short of 300 hp to the wheels for two reasons. Your intake will hold you back, unless you ported the s hit out of it all the through each runner, and also that cam was ground for more of a flat torque curve, instead of peak hp. Your torque numbers should be great, and that is what brings the fun on the street anyway.