95 cobra 351 alternator won't mount

wildmandave

Sep 15, 2005
largo,FL
I recently swapped a 351w into my 95 cobra and am having some difficulty getting the alternator to mount in the bracket (it hits the valve cover). I have motorsport valve covers on twisted wedge heads (need clearance for scorpian 1.6 rockers). Do I need to fab a bracket, change the valve covers, run a mini alternator, or just shoot it? Also does anyone make a bracket for this? I've checked march and bscanned the net to no avail...HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Sponsors (?)

Mine just barely cleared with AFR heads. What part is hitting? Here's what mine looks like,
100_0648.JPG

I missread your post this morning when I had to get up at 5:30 for work. They are all the same alternators. you will probably have to get a different valve covers. Exactly what valve covers do you have cast aluminum, stamped steel?

OK, Im not sure if this will help or not, but if you remove the 3 long screws from the back of the alternator you can turn the rear casing. I had to turn mine to the position you see in my pic. If yours is allready in that position, I don't know what else you can to get some more clearance other that grinding. :shrug:

Low-5.0 said:
OK, Im not sure if this will help or not, but if you remove the 3 long screws from the back of the alternator you can turn the rear casing. I had to turn mine to the position you see in my pic. If yours is allready in that position, I don't know what else you can to get some more clearance other that grinding. :shrug:
does anyone know about the msd mini alternator?I need to find out if this will fit my car.

You don't have to shim it. That will affect your belt. You have to clearance the valve covers. If memory serves me correctly the Cobra R used a different bracket. I know the alternator on my R-doesn't hit and I installed a 351 in my 94 Cobra and had to clearance the stock valve covers. The alternators are the same.

I had the same problem on my swap. I used Anderson Motorsport Valve covers. The only way around it w/o fabricating a bracket to extend the alternator to mount farther out, is to buy new valve covers or remove a chunk of the valve cover and have it rewelded.

I opted to have my engine builder just cut a piece of the valve cover off and weld new plates onto the valve cover to cover the hole. Sucks but it was cheapest (Only 40 bucks) way around it. Next time Im definitely just gonna buy the proper valve covers.