95 Cobra Intake Manifold

tmoss said:
I would not port a Cobra upper - just the lower for the right applications. If you need more than ~250cfm of flow that a ported lower/stock upper Cobra gives (and you can REALLY use it!) then step up to an aftermarket intake with a larger cross section.

I have researched this for several days now and I can't seem to find what the flow rate of an unported TFS street or track heat intake. Which out of the box intake with a larger cross section will flow more than the ported lower/stock upper Cobra's 250 cfm? I don't want to choke my 347, and its going to be 90/10 street/strip. And I do want to use a hi-rev (over 6500rpm) cam to have to use a box style intake like the TFS Box-R.

• Sponsors (?)

mytight95 said:
tom are you talking about removing the actual port wall between the number 1&5 cylinders...... i saw that done on a stock intake someone posted a while back...... You think it would actually work?

jason

Jason, you're talking about me, with the milled out runner walls. Let's get a pic here....
HPIM1319.jpg

Now...note the first two, and the last two runner walls are missing. Sorry for not understanding, paul, but which of the runners are 1 and 5. Then, what are the other two that the wall has been milled out between?

Attachments

• HPIM1319.jpg
    HPIM1319.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 82
xr8d302 said:
HPIM1319.jpg

Now...note the first two, and the last two runner walls are missing. Sorry for not understanding, paul, but which of the runners are 1 and 5. Then, what are the other two that the wall has been milled out between?

front runners are 1 and 5 back runners are 4 and 8

Attachments

• HPIM1319.jpg
    HPIM1319.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 55
I took a look at valve events for my mild cam to see how intake valve events in adjacent runners coincided. Cams with more durtion would have even more intake valve overlap, so the stock cam is a good "base" to compare from. Here is a pic of my quickie spreadsheet and the conclusions I drew. Open for review if I made a mistake & discussion.............

Cobra intake worth the co$t?

My car is bone stock internally with about 150k on the engine (still runs great, no smoke). Will a cobra upper/lower intake plus a 70mm tb and a larger maf/air intake provide a noticeable gain? eventually i want to get heads and an e-cam but for now thatll be it. i know this is what the origional poster basically asked but since my car has such high mileage i thought i'd ask again.
Thanks.

digging up my old threads i see :)

You will notice a gain on the cobra intake. I could feel a gain from 3500 and up. I'm not sure if you need a bigger MAF. I would wait on that untill you do the heads/cam.

If your car is still running strong i don't see any problems by you putting on the intake/tb.

95GTV8- Where did you purchase your intake from? i've seen the cobra upper/lower for around 430ish new, but that seems high considering the prices of high flow aftermarket intakes are only slightly higher. Did you purchase yours new or second hand? Thanks again for the help.