95 Cobra won't fire up - HELP!

jster91

May 21, 2004
Lititz, PA
Driving down the road, car shuts off and then won't restart. Turns over, but won't fire up. Up to that point, no issues with running rough or anything. I changed the fuel filter, still doesn't start. Fuel pump comes on when I turn the key 1/2 way. I bled the fuel line a little with the schrader valve on the fuel rail, seems to be getting fuel. Check a spark plug, looks descent, but dry, even after several attempts to start it. Swapped the spark plug wire from the coil to the distributor with cylinder 1's spark plug wire to rule out the coil wire, no luck. Cleaned the contacts at the coil. inspected the rotor and points, contact point at the rotor is still ok, not burnt through. So, now what? Why isn't the plug wet with gas after trying to start for a while, maybe fuel injectors not spraying, or just not in line of fire of injectors. Coil problem? computer? Battery is fine. It seems strange to just up and die like that. Any help or diagnostic suggestions are appreciated. Also, car has gas.

Thanks

Jeff:bang:

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like the infamous PIP/Stator/Hall Effect Sensor (all the same thing, but can be called different names) in the distributor. To replace it requires pressing the cam gear off the distributor shaft, pressing it back on, and installing a new roll pin in the gear. A lot of us have had this very problem, and often it's easier and just makes more sense to go ahead and get a remanufactured distributor to save the stress of doing it yourself.

i agree with stangGT1995.place a spark tester between the coil and cap and try to start the car.if there is intermittent spark,i'll bet it's the distributor.i had the same problem-symptoms as you.replaced the distributor with a reman from autozone,cost 130.00$ with exchange about 9 months ago ,been running fine ever since:D

Some diagnostics will allow you to help yourself. You need to know that you actually have 30+ PSIG of FP.

Assuming no spark, check for injector pulsing with a noid light. If neither, see Matt's post. If you have injector pulsing, the PIP should be ok. I'd look at the ignition (TFI, Coil).

Chances are it's PIP or FP related because of your plug observations. You can also make sure the TPS signal is reading less around one volt while you crank the motor over.

Good luck.

Ok. I got a spark tester and tried it on the wire from the coil to the distributor. Nothing. I tried the tester on my Explorer and it blinked when I did the same thing. So, does that exclude the PIP sensor now? Should it be the cap, rotor or coil now?

jster91 said:
Ok. I got a spark tester and tried it on the wire from the coil to the distributor. Nothing. I tried the tester on my Explorer and it blinked when I did the same thing. So, does that exclude the PIP sensor now? Should it be the cap, rotor or coil now?
As said, check for injector pulsing. If you dont have it either, the PIP is likely.

Chances are very good that the PIP is the issue, but we like to provide all relevant info so you can do diagnostics and figure out what the issue is. Often times people omit critical diagnostic info, which is why I seldom will tell someone that A or B is the solution.

Good luck.