95 GT bogs when its cold

Need some help with this one.

My 95 GT runs awesome once its warmed up and is really strong and pulls really hard considering its almost completely stock when compared to other ones I have driven. But when its cold, it bogs when I try to get it moving unless I rev it pretty high (like 2000 rpms or so). Sometimes it also sounds like it backfires, then it picks right up and is okay. Does anyone else's car do this? Seems a little odd to me. Although Neither of my 5.0s like to run cold.

Also I have a rattling sound that changes when I rev the motor, both with the clutch in and the clutch out? It seems to be coming from the area of the cats. Any ideas? :shrug:

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Stang95fyvo said:
Need some help with this one.

My 95 GT runs awesome once its warmed up and is really strong and pulls really hard considering its almost completely stock when compared to other ones I have driven. But when its cold, it bogs when I try to get it moving unless I rev it pretty high (like 2000 rpms or so). Sometimes it also sounds like it backfires, then it picks right up and is okay. Does anyone else's car do this? Seems a little odd to me. Although Neither of my 5.0s like to run cold.

Also I have a rattling sound that changes when I rev the motor, both with the clutch in and the clutch out? It seems to be coming from the area of the cats. Any ideas? :shrug:

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

The rattling sound could be the heat shields on your cats. A few years ago when I had cats my heat shields were loose and made the sound you're describing. I put some snake clamps on them and that solved the rattle.
Tim

My car is the exact opposite. It runs amazing when its cold, opposite when its hot. It'll bog, hesitate and sometimes backfire as well.

Maybe its your ECT?

my car does the bogging in the morning too, i was going to start a thread right now, what are the odds, i just installed a MSD Dizzy yesterday and also a Pro-M Mass Air, it used to do it before also but today in the morning it almost died when i took off, but once it's down the street it runs like a champ...any suggestions?

juiced_94gt said:
my car does the bogging in the morning too, i was going to start a thread right now, what are the odds, i just installed a MSD Dizzy yesterday and also a Pro-M Mass Air, it used to do it before also but today in the morning it almost died when i took off, but once it's down the street it runs like a champ...any suggestions?

ditto about the almost dying part...I cant figure it out. I dont have any mods that change any components of the engine so I dont know what it is.

RE: the ECT...it better not be that...the car only has 66k miles on it.

mine has been doing the SAME thing

bogs, sometimes i get the slight backfire on the 1-2 shift but 3-4 mins of driving and it goes away:shrug:

i have a lot of mods tho so i dunno where to start looking

never did this tho when i had the AODE and old computer in there

Guys,

If it's temperature related, it's the ECT sensor!

The ECT sensor takes the place of a choke on a car with a carburetor. It richens the A/F ratio on a cold engine and leans it out one the engine warms to operating temperature.

The ECT (and the ACT) are thermistors (variable resistors). The thermal properties of thermistors degrade over time particularly in a high temperature environment. So, even at 66K, your ECT could be off enough to screw up your A/F ratio.

Replace it. It's not that expensive and takes 10 minutes to swap out.

MLC Stang said:
Guys,

If it's temperature related, it's the ECT sensor!

The ECT sensor takes the place of a choke on a car with a carburetor. It's richens the A/F ratio on a cold engine and leans it out one the engine warms to operating temperature.

The ECT (and the ACT) are thermistors (variable resistors). The thermal properties of thermistors degrade over time particularly in a high temperature environment. So, even at 66K, your ECT could be off enough to screw up your A/F ratio.

Replace it. It's not that expensive and takes 10 minutes to swap out.

Sounds like a plan. I might do that this week. I will let you all know how it goes. :nice:

urban96 said:
mine has been doing the SAME thing

bogs, sometimes i get the slight backfire on the 1-2 shift but 3-4 mins of driving and it goes away:shrug:

i have a lot of mods tho so i dunno where to start looking

never did this tho when i had the AODE and old computer in there

mine does the same exact thing.

Wow, I thought I was the only one with that problem:rlaugh: . When my car is cold in the morning, usually when Im first moving it, if I dont give it enough throttle itll bog horribly, and want to stall out. But give it some more gas and it goes back to where it should be power wise. It only happens in first gear though, when I first get moving, and at really low rpms.

DaveB said:
Wow, I thought I was the only one with that problem:rlaugh: . When my car is cold in the morning, usually when Im first moving it, if I dont give it enough throttle itll bog horribly, and want to stall out. But give it some more gas and it goes back to where it should be power wise. It only happens in first gear though, when I first get moving, and at really low rpms.

same here...hopefully the ECT sensor is just tripping and a change of ECTs will cure it.

Holy hell, what are the odds? I have the same problem and was about to make a thread about it.

My car is is the same way. When I start it up and try to drive off or back up, you can hear it bog down and doesn't want to move at all. If I try to give it gas it usually stumbles and stutters. This will happen for the first 2-3 minutes of driving, then it's perfect.

I think I might try the ECT sensor. Is there any particular brand to get? And where can I find a cheap one at?

Thanks guys!

Guys,

Heres the Ford part number for the ECT for a 94/95 5.0:

ECT sensor: F2ZZ-9G428-B (about $50 list at dealer)

EDIT: Above is wrong part number!!! Here's the right number: F2AZ-12A648-A

You can get them for about half that at an auto parts store - NAPA, Auto Zone, Advance, etc.