95 GT replaced MAF sensor and IAT still no good...

jg22

Apr 22, 2011
Just bought a 1995 GT with 65k miles, 5 speed, only mods are flowmasters, off road h pipe, msd distributor, and msd ignition but the ignition is not hooked up. I was told the maf sensor was bad and would need replacing then the guy said he cleaned the sensor and it ran fine. It ran great, but after a few days of driving it started having problems :notnice:.

Car sometimes won't idle without dying, I don't have full power at all mainly in high rpms. I replaced the maf sensor and iat sensor, but that didn't help. Car won't start with the maf sensor plugged in, but it will with it unplugged after a couple tries. Not sure what else it could be? Engine is really clean including the throttle body. O2 sensors possibly? Any help or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

Well I pulled the codes and the only ones I got were for the maf sensor and iat sensor. So I was thinking maybe the wiring harness, but then why would it make a difference whether or not it was plugged in?

The positive should not be disconnected without the negative being disconnected first.

Disconnect the negative and turn on the headlight switch for 30 seconds. This helps discharge the capacitors in the EEC.

I tried to reset the computer again, that didn't work. No clue what else it could be. Only thing I can think of is o2 sensors, but wouldn't that come up when I pulled the codes? Fuel pump is on I can hear it. I have some fuses out in my car, but I don't think there is anything to do with the maf sensor. Completely stumped...crapola

Do you have the Correct MAF in there? I have personally noticed that using a pre-94 maf on a 94/95 makes it run like crap. Also check that harness. The IAT and MAF are all tied into a 6 pin round plug. Make sure the connections look good.

Chris

Car dying at idle could be idle solenoid. ??? Just a thought. I put one on our 94 and it idles now.
Was dying alot at idle.

As for the power loss at high rpm, that sounds like fuel filter and/or air filter.
Again, just a thought.

maf sensor problem

i am litterally in the middle of the same exact nightmare as u. i have replaced the maf and iat several times from junk yard parts and if i unplug the maf it runs fine and if i unplug the iat runs ok i was just told by a mechanic friend that the maf has to be from the exact same make model with exact #s on it for it to work so now im looking to see if that works i just know that everything i do an the car does points to it being a maf problem. hopefully this can get figured out between us both having same problem!

OMG im havign the same isue, on a 92 gt. repalced all the maf,iac,tps,./..i am running it now without the maf plugged in. when i plug it up it will run crappy and want to cut off. the codes i got were 81/83.66/63...i dotn have my 02 in cause i just put headers on, but man this is killing me trying to figure this out. i was gonna run a jumper to the red wire and see if it wasnt getting power casue the codes are all low volt.. but not sure.. im withyou guys... i need help

I'm with Hissin. You need to confirm the MAF voltage. By design the car should not run well with the MAF disconnected as the PCM has no way of determining the fuel load without measuring the amount of air flowing into the engine. The absence of O2 sensors and a non-working ECT compounds the problem.

yes im aware what the maf is suppose to be there for im not running without 02 sensors i have nothing else wrong besides the car not running without the maf plugged in i also tried other mafs an what im finding out it has to be from the same year make model for it to work i have tried other years an models an was told thats why theyre not working i did have it better after replacing it for a day or so but went bad again ive been getting them from the bone yard so i honestly forget how many an from what exact cars worked a little better an which ones didnt so until i get an exact match i have to drive it unplugged right now its the only way to drive it