95 GT vs 2004 EVO

1Slick5.0

Jul 21, 2004
Vermont
Well my cousin finally went out and bought herself one of those new Mitsubishi Lancer Evolutions. And she wanted to race. Now being the rice hater i am i figured well lets see what shes got. I knew what her car was capable of. I mean for $38,000 it had to be worth the money. For you all out there that dont know. These cars are all wheel drive. And have a turbocharged 2.5 Liter 4 banger putting out an impressive 271hp. Only 6,800 were released in the US this year. So we went lined up and got ready. For the weight to HP ratio she had me. I was hoping for a bad launch on her half but then again being an all wheel drive thats kinda hard. I did a little smoke show to warm up the firestones. Then she started hers. This is where i got worried. She revs up dumps the clutch and i bare witness to a four wheel short lived tire smoking. Then when she lets off the gas the aftermarket blow off valve on the turbo sounded like a god damn mack trucks air brakes. I was having really bad second thoughts at this time. And after losing the 1/4 mile run against my old mans 67 fastback i wasnt looking forward to another lose. Of course i took it up the ass like the last race. She straight out Handed me my butt on a silver platter wrapped in a delicate lace napkin. After the race she let me drive it. Whoa those cars haul some serious ass. I guess thats what that much money will give you. Im sure if i had $30,000 dumped in my car to match her price range my stang would be that crazy too. But or course theres the down side. 8,000 miles into the car the tranny blew along with the clutch. The warranty covered the tranny which was an outlandish $9,500 but the $2,000 clutch was a wear and tear item out of pocket. Gotta love those limited production cars. Has anyone out there ran into one of these yet?

• Sponsors (?)

evos are fast, i can take a stock srt-4, but once they start modding they get me, i raced a stock srt-4 and stock lancer evo, i lost to both by 5 cars for some WEIRD REASON, the next week i ran that same srt-4 again and we were almost dead even.. this was before my tb and performer rpm intake, the srt-4 takes the evo driver everytime for some reason, the kid driving the evo sucks, i could probably beat him now though, they are nothing to take lightly, dont go into a race with one if ur fairly stock and expect to pull on em

Yeah i stopped into a dodge dealer the other day and they had a srt4 if your into that kinda thing there pretty good bang for your buck ringing in around $20,000. Personally i wouldnt be caught dead in one. But they work for some people

I'm with 67stang on that one. And slick you dont need boost just a h/c/i or nitrous. Oh and slick you should have asked for street starts to the race. Me thinks you would have done a lot better in that case. Also, this is the first time I've heard of a blown tranny but not the first time I have heard about the clutch. Dont these things have 10yr 100k mile powertrain warranties? If so mitsu is gonna spend lots on trannies if they go at 9500 miles. Also, are clutches really that expensive on that thing? Man 2g's is crazy if you ask me.

$38,000 is a lot of money. if i had that much to get a car, i'd buy a vette or a viper. evos may be fast, but they're just not sexy enough.

by the time i get to $38,000 on my car (if i EVER end up spending that much), i doubt i'd have much trouble with an evo.

$38k is about $10k more than she should have paid, for that kind of money I would have just found a nice used Z06 Vette instead.

Evo's are pretty dang quick, I wouldn't expect you to take one without heads. And they have a pretty stout block -- there's a local guy putting down almost 450 to all four wheels with his Evo.

But I'd much rather have a Mustang, even if it's a slow POS 5.0... :D

Dave

Black96VertGT said:
by the time i get to $38,000 on my car (if i EVER end up spending that much)
Careful what you say :D. I thought 5.0's were cheap to mod. I've got $6k into my car now, and I'm contemplating another $8k or so (I'm starting to think I should have just gotten an '03 Cobra instead, might have actually been cheaper in the long run... :rlaugh: )

Dave

low 13s bone stock with a good driver... it comes with Recaro racing seats, I checked one out at the International Auto in Boston this February... the stock shifter is the balls too, super short throw. But they are ugly IMO. The WRX STi is a nicer looking car and is slightly faster in the 1/4. What made her decide on a the mitsu over the subaru??

And if you put 30gs into a mustang it could FLY.

your cousin got raped by that dealer...my boyfriend was going to buy one until he heard about all the problems with them such as your cousins tranny and clutch problems. we looked at one with 2 miles, basically just rolled off the truck and it was 29k..you can also get gently used ones (10k or less) for around 24-25k. for under 30k the car is badass but if she really payed that much i'm with everyone else..she could have gotten soemthing WAY better

I just raced one at the track this past weekend. Contrary to what you usually hear, I've been told from many DSM guys that launching an AWD Turbo car with balls does take some finesse. It can be tricky.

The EVO I ran into was stock (still had paper plates) and the guy did in fact botch the start. I killed him by a bus length or two, but for his credit...the thing still trapped 103+mph.

1Slick5.0: I'm trying to figure out why the heck you would ever do a "smokeshow to warm up the Firestones"??? All you are succedding in is getting them hot and greasy therefore much more slippery which will cause them to spin more than hook. You dont' want to ever do a burnout on street tires.

I ran into one in the other vehicle a 01 bullitt with nitorus and a few other mods. Wasnt even close i beat it by about 2 car lengths I let the evo launch and just took off normal. Knew there was no point in beating on my car trying to pull off a perfect launch and the thing still gets me out the hole. There quick off the line mainly due to that awd but there nothing to scary from a roll remember theres some serious drivetrain loss power has to go through two differiantals.

HairyCanary said:
Careful what you say :D. I thought 5.0's were cheap to mod. I've got $6k into my car now, and I'm contemplating another $8k or so (I'm starting to think I should have just gotten an '03 Cobra instead, might have actually been cheaper in the long run... :rlaugh: )

Dave
i have about $4k in mine, which brings the total to $11k. the labor is the killer. but it is alot faster than a stock 96-98 (i had one) and is probably about what a stock 99+ (i had a 2001 gt too).

they are definately cheaper to mod than the 4.6s. i can handle incremental stuff, but i do not have the cash flow right now for a $400 car payment every month, which is about what i'd pay for what i would have to finance. plus the insurance is higher on the newer gts.

Black96VertGT said:
they are definately cheaper to mod than the 4.6s. i can handle incremental stuff, but i do not have the cash flow right now for a $400 car payment every month, which is about what i'd pay for what i would have to finance. plus the insurance is higher on the newer gts.
Aint that the truth, when I was modding my 4.6 I would basically end up paying up to twice what I would pay to mod the cobra, and insurance dropped about a 100 a month. The cost of ownership on the newer 4.6's is just high.

blubullitt said:
I ran into one in the other vehicle a 01 bullitt with nitorus and a few other mods. Wasnt even close i beat it by about 2 car lengths I let the evo launch and just took off normal. Knew there was no point in beating on my car trying to pull off a perfect launch and the thing still gets me out the hole. There quick off the line mainly due to that awd but there nothing to scary from a roll remember theres some serious drivetrain loss power has to go through two differiantals.

damn, you beat me to it. race one from a roll. they get such awesome times in the 1/4 bc they can launch like a bat outta hell. races are won and lost at the launch most of the time. i happen to think the evos are cool ass cars, even with that wing. the only awd car i fear......NISSAN SKYLINE

They do run well a guy in my town has one he has been working on it all summer & talking alot of sh** along the way .We finally ran three weeks ago thank god i had mt nitto's cause hae pulled a half car on me any way out the hole but as soon as i hit second gear (juice) it was all over i got him by a good four cars :owned:

[email protected]@121mph.avi

Here is an Evo to be feared....Call it what you want, but its a full weight Evo that runs 9s.

Also the stock block Evo 4G63 has made 600+ wheel HP on stock internals, and the thing these cars are most known for are its handling and brakes. Its 60-0 times are around 110ft. :hail2:

BTW, Drive train problems come from idiots who try AWD burnouts and stuff. I have a studderbox and leave the line with 7psi and AWD, I still have my stock tranny, transfer, and front/rear diffs.

-Dallas J