95 Off road H-pipe Legal ?

Road_Runna

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Dec 23, 2002
Ogden, UT
I live in the state of Utah, so first things first. I started working at a local Autozone just 3 weeks ago (2nd job); One of my frineds that works there told "me as long as is over 10 years, cops or highway patrol can't do anything but warn me, can't sight me (write me up) or anything."

If anyone has any insight on this please inform me, I was thinking of getting my H-pipe welded on my headers (not stock, and they are not on my sig).

And if you live in the state of California post your comments also, I might take my car too cali a couple of times. But I live in Utah.

Thoughts.

• Sponsors (?)

Generally, I think state's say (at least) that you cannot take emissions equipment off that was on there from the factory. So I'd say that it is probably not legal.

Probably not legal, but if you don't have emissions testing then go for it!

Oh yeah, it's probably not a good idea to weld it to your headers. Just remember that it's gonna have to come back off sometime...

I know that here in Ontario, Canada, if a car is 15 years or older it does not need to be equipped with emissions stuff (cats or smog pump). If its 10 years in Utah, then he might be alright? I don't know, you'd have to find out about the laws in your state...

Yea dude I don't know if you have a T5 or anything but if you do a clutch swap or anything you don't want to have to cut it then run it back down to the muffler shop to get it all welded back up (i know a lot of muffler shops won't even touch offroad pipes).

I was an emission and inspector when I lived in Utah back in the 90's. Utah is super strict on emissions. Come on dude, look at the smog in the valley. It just hangs there. There is no way they would pass you in Utah with an H pipe so don't even try. I live in Illinois now and I just change out my pipe for my "once every two year" emission test. It takes longer to jack the car up than to remove and replace the pipe.

Just put the factory unit in, smog it, pass, go home, remove stock h pipe, and put in the off road. Damn, I think anyone who drives a Mustang and gets smogged, does what I just described. I can't live without my catless pipe. That growl with my mac cat backs is so loud and angry! :D

it's not gonna be legal and don't weld it in...what's the point?? it's not hard to fix exhaust leaks....and just while we're somewhat on the subject, how is it that a state cop here in Mass wrote me up for "harsh and objectionable noise" with my o/r h pipe when i burnt out a little in a parking lot after it was pouring out, then when he pulled me over, never mentioned my exhaust, never heard it up close(my car was off and parked when he pulled up) never looked at it, or looked under the car to check... is that legal or easy to beat in court?? just wondering what does and doesnt carry weight when dealing with exhaust noise infractions...