95 TPS Question

k00ksta

May 13, 2007
Chicago
I had adjusted my TB's Set screw to get my new motor to idle a bit better but it seems like when the car finally gets to operating temp (180-190 degree's or so) the idle rises to around 1200 RPM so I took the Throttle body off and the IAC off and cleaned it (it was very dirty) put everything back together and then I seen this Post on this Site http://forums.stangnet.com/752106-jumpy-idle.html#post7512578 Now I have not done anything as of yet to my throttle body like adjusting the Air Bleed screw and adjust that thing because I wanted to probe my TPS first. So I first took a paper clip and stuck it in the correct positions on the TPS Terminal and with Key on it reads 0.52 volts, do I just need to adjust the idle set screw more to get it at the .96-.98 range like that post says that I need to be at to get it to idle smooth. But when I look at my TPS Sensor I cannot move it what so ever. here is a pick of it

tps.jpg

I did see that Chythar stated that our TPS's automatically are set to 1 Volt so what do I do with my setup here? I have not yet ran the motor sence cleaning the IAC but I did get tons of crap out of it when I sprayed it down with Carb Cleaner. But I would imagine I do still need to make other adjustments if I have made changes to the idle set screw. Thanks for any help guys/gals :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

The TPS should either baseline or if it cannot, it should generate a code. Some folks report that dialing in the baseline helps with surging - I am not a real big fan of it (people often break the TPS in the process).

When your car starts idling high, if you shut it off and restart it, does it settle back down for a little while? If so, that's a sign of a possibly bad TPS (carbon contact degradation).

Ya exactly what happends I just got a code scanner but have not yet pulled codes other than the KOEO tests which passed fine. If say I start the car let it run about 1 minutes or so after idling just fine the check engine light flashes about 4 times and then the idle rises up to that RPM range sits their. If I hit the pedal or drive the car it runs fine other than the RPM's coming back and settling at that mark. also ya if I shut the car off and re-start it it repeats the same process so I think I will try to replace that TPS and see what happends. :nice:

I did see that Chythar stated that our TPS's automatically are set to 1 Volt so what do I do with my setup here? I have not yet ran the motor sence cleaning the IAC but I did get tons of crap out of it when I sprayed it down with Carb Cleaner. But I would imagine I do still need to make other adjustments if I have made changes to the idle set screw. Thanks for any help guys/gals :flag:

Uh-oh, I've been quoted. Am I getting closer to the dreaded "expert" group? :p

Of course, Hissin is correct on the TPS. Another problem with a rising idle is the IAC right next to the TPS - if it's stuck open your idle will keep rising. You may want to try unplugging the IAC and see if the problem goes away.