95 v6 starter problem

Discussion in '1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-' started by houser01, Apr 4, 2011.

1. houser01

houser01 New Member

I have a 95 v6 that has been having starter problems. I replaced the starter a couple weeks ago, and everything seemed to be fine. This morning, the car would not start. When you turn the key, the engine cranks really slow. If you hold it for a couple seconds, the starter ticks really fast. What could be causing this?

2. MustangLX-5.0

Founding Member

Sorry to get to this so late... I will answer in case you still need the help.

Ticks really fast? Do you mean it makes a rapid clicking sound? It sounds like either your battery is very low and not getting charged, or you have a very poor connection to your starter. It does not sound like you have any problems with the starter or ignition itself. Check the battery cables where the connect to the battery for corrosion and if it has any, use a wire brush and clean both the cable and the battery terminals until you can see clean metal. Do the same for the other end of the battery cables. Should fine the ground bolted directly to the starter underneath.