96-98 4V engine problems'

SVT3183

Mar 30, 2005
S Jersey
I've been looking for a 2nd mustang for a while now and have focused on a 96-98 cobra but I seem to see a lot with relatively low mileage, <80K, with replaced engines. A few mention bearing problems. Are the known issues, perhaps oiling, with these engines, or are they just being beat to hell?

• Sponsors (?)

My vote would be them being beat to hell. I've seen dozens of 4V Lincolns with 200,000-300,000km on the clock still running well. They'll rattle a little on start up when the mileage starts to pile up, but otherwise they're a great engine.

yeah Ive drove a couple 96-98 kewbra's, all were over 120k, one had a slight tick on warm up (lifter i guess) but they all would rev like a mother to 7k and had been doing that forever, so yes they are very good engines, i know personally Ive had my gt to red line about 5-6 times everyday for the past year, and it seems to love it, still perfect cross hatching and oil press..

i know that that's a 2v compared to a 4v, but in my experience with both, they both have the potential, if well maintained to last a long time..

the only prob Ive heard of on the cobra's is the irmc's clogging, and having a slight lifter tap on start up..