96-98 Cobra HP question

• Sponsors (?)

IronMedic said:
yeah i meant to the wheels, im not totally sure how much HP is lost through the drive system to the rear wheels so i was just trying to figure out the average :)

Figure 15-%18 loss of hp through the drivetrain
305x.85=259.25
or
305x.82=250.1

I had 266 RWHP on mine when it was stock. I haven't been since I added my current combo.

Your typically only going to see over 300 RWHP if the car is making over 355hp at the crank unless your looking at a IRS setup which tends to soak up more hp than a live axle. LS1 Vettes tend to dyno less to the ground than a LS1 Fbody.

so do u think those mods would clear the gap in RWHP? im planning on working on my exhaust anyways along with 3.73's. i wanna try long tubes, catted X/H pipe, and probably an SLP loudmouth kit.

how hard is it to install long tubes on a 4.6? i know they are a PITA on 5.0's.

IronMedic said:
so do u think those mods would clear the gap in RWHP? im planning on working on my exhaust anyways along with 3.73's. i wanna try long tubes, catted X/H pipe, and probably an SLP loudmouth kit.

Installing long tubes ...... They are FUN ...... lol

You need to use either an engine bay support brace or a cherry picker. I used a picker.

Drop K member

Then the world opens up - lower the engine 3 inches and you can easily get your hands on all header bolts.

Then it's pretty much straight forward. Anyway ..... if you have done anything like this before and you know what you are doing, it will take about 7-8 hours.

If you do "All" the bolt ons you will be OVER 300 for sure!

IronMedic said:

Don't go with 3:73's unless your going to go forced induction. Either go 4:10's or 4:30's.

Don't Fear the Gear.

i plan on going with a supercharger later so i am gonna stick with 3.73's. they will be better for my car anyways. i do alot of city and highway driving.

a speed shop here quoted me for $600-700 for all parts (including the gears) and install. does that sound like a fair price? they will include all hardware needed for the swap as well as axle fluid.

NO WAY.... That is horrible. You can do much better than that. You can get the gears for around 150 - 175. Then the installation should not be that much. Maybe 200 - 250. You need to look around. Buy the parts yourself. You will save money that way.

yeah i was looking into buying them myself. the speed shop says it would take them 6 hours to change them including all the measurements. i am probably gonna stay away from them for service other than dynos. they do $95 an hour and they can get at least 5 pulls in an hour.