'96-'98 Cobra or 99+ GT

Cobra. The 96-98 Cobra hood is beautiful. The 32V is a much better foundation to start modding with. The Cobra prestige and rarity. The 99+ Mustangs do look a tad better to me, but in this decision the Cobra comes out on top for me. Get a Chrome Yellow '98 :D .

• Sponsors (?)

Vabeachguy said:
Hello everyone, I am new here and I wanted to say hello!!

Also I am beginning my search for another stang and want your expert opinion on which would be better, a '96-'98 Cobra or 99+ GT.

I'm gonna have to give my vote to the 99+ GT i just got my 03gt and love it never had a Cobra but was lookin also b4 i got my 03. I got dissapointed with the Cobra after reading alot about some problems they seem to all have such as the IRMC, Etc. Also The Cobra does have more Hp but Torque is bout identical...And i've also noticed there's only like .3 seconds off in the 1/4 mile of each other Cobra bein the quicker. Id say if u want reliabilty And fun with more than likely a warranty get the GT. If ur lookin for a weekend ride and got a lil extra cash the Cobra would be better. Also a Cobra with great miliage is gonna cost u darn near what a new GT will. Good luck either way u go man. Either way i'm sure you'll be happy

SFgiants25 said:
I'm gonna have to give my vote to the 99+ GT i just got my 03gt and love it never had a Cobra but was lookin also b4 i got my 03. I got dissapointed with the Cobra after reading alot about some problems they seem to all have such as the IRMC, Etc. Also The Cobra does have more Hp but Torque is bout identical...And i've also noticed there's only like .3 seconds off in the 1/4 mile of each other Cobra bein the quicker. Id say if u want reliabilty And fun with more than likely a warranty get the GT. If ur lookin for a weekend ride and got a lil extra cash the Cobra would be better. Also a Cobra with great miliage is gonna cost u darn near what a new GT will. Good luck either way u go man. Either way i'm sure you'll be happy

I have owned a '01 GT already, i loved it. That was the first mustang I have ever owned. I have never driven a cobra but I love the looks and the engine is :drool: . Do you knowledgable folks know what i should look out for with the older cobra's? Like a '99 GT would need a new IAC valve, it is a known problem. What about the snake?

Hard decision for me- I like the body style of 99+'s better myself, but the cobra name is something thats hard for me to dismiss.. Its all just up to whatever you prefer personally. Either would be a great car.

Well in a race the Cobra and 99+ GT's are almost identical...the Cobra has a slight edge up top...I raced a 96-98 Cobra with some sort of exhaust on the interstate and he only pulled a car on me from 70-120...and I've messed around with some from a stop and I could always pull them out of the hole...

Cobras are rarer but are a bit harder to launch and get it into the powerband...

It is a toss up in my opinion... :shrug:

David

Craig Mack said:
It's a no brainer, Cobra. They will feel about the same speed wise under 3 grand, but the Cobra absolutely OWNS the top end. 7000rpm to toy with, beautiful, 305HP DOHC motor, the potential is great. Besides, you get Cobra exclusitivity. Everyone and their mom has a 99+ GT, but 96-98 Cobras are extremely rare. I think they look better too, IMO.

You took the words right out of my mouth!! :nice:

2001 Geee T said:
Is a 99 or 01 Cobra out of the question price wise? That way you get the 99+ looks, its newer and it has 320 hp etc.

I would like to stay in the price range of 10K, I know that is low but I do not want to finance and that is what I have. My wife would have other questions if I started hording another 5-6K for a newer car.

Miles being equal.. The Cobra is a no brainer. I like the new edge look a little better, but not much. Used to own a 95 GT and perferred that look when I had one.

You want reasons? Ok here we go..

Cobra - 96-98 Cobras have solid rear axles. So they are easier to launch then the new edge Cobras. Put some 4.10's or 4.30's on that Cobra and it turns into a real quarter mile beast. The DOHC motor is a better base to start with and respond to mods very well. The brakes are better, the interior is better and the whole Cobra image is better (whatever that means to you). The Cobra is a rarer car.. Those that say the Cobra isn't much more then a new GT in terms of performance, either hasn't driven one for an extended period or didn't take the RPM's over 3K..

Nothing wrong with a newer GT, it's a great car.. But I'd take a Cobra over it.

I was in the same predicament about 9 months ago. I preffered the looks of the 99+ GT. I went with the newer car, to have a warranty, and less miles (7 haha). Another reason is because parts for the GT are easier to come by and cheaper. The biggest plus for the Cobra would have to be the potential.

In my experience with 96-98 cobras the performance difference is not a whole lot. I was even with 2 different ones from 20-90. Not saying they are equal in performance, just telling you about my experiences. Make sure and drive both, then make your decision. It's alot harder to find a Cobra in good condition than to find a GT.

Ever since i got my 98gt, i just wished i had gone for a cobra, i want the DOHC so bad and i prefer the 94~98 body a lot more, but i must admit that the 99+ body is starting to growth on me... specially the mach1 =oD but still either i will do an engine swap in mine or trade for a 98 cobra