96-98 cobra vs 98+ fbody

The F-bodies cost a crap ton to modify. Full exhaust is gonna be $1000 +. Complete LS7 intake swap will be $1500. LS7 head swap The interiors are junk. I like the handling of F-bodies, but the view out is not too great.
How do you figure? Exhaust is easier to do on a LS1 and longtubes can be done being dropped in from the top. You can easily get longtubes and a o/r Y pipe for 500 bucks. It doesnt take much for a LS1 to gain power and for under 500 bucks you can gain 30-50 rwhp. How about cams. The LS1 requires 1 where the 4V needs 4 and you arent getting a decent set of cams for under 1000 bucks, but you can have a decent cam, valve springs and rockers with extra loot to spare. I don't see a 96-01 4V doing that. Yeah some of the top of the line expensive crap will cost a fortune as it will for a 4V too.

It sounds like you want cheap, so go with a 96-98 Cobra. You will be happier, and will find a better deal. Honestly I'd just step up and get a 1999-2004. I don't find the stock 96-98 Cobra's to be all that fast. I have not been impressed by pre-03 Cobras with anything less than a s/c. I have drove and riden in many. They just seem to be missing something.
Well the 96-01 Cobras cost a ton of money to make fast to be competative as a LS1. If fact mod for mod the cobra will cost alot more and still be slower.

I have seen Naturally aspirated 96-98 Cobras with bolt ons and cams run 10's and some have ran 11's without cams. That's pretty impressive that some 03/04 guys cant do that with mods.

• Sponsors (?)

When I was researching LS-1 stuff I was looking in Summit and Jegs. I set of long tubes is $600, the proper muffler was $470. Add some labor to that. To put a cam in an LS-1 requires ripping the motor apart. I can do cams on a 2V or 4V in an easy day. The F-body has to have the radiator pulled, intake off, and a bunch of other stuff taken off. The engine is so far back in there it is a big B to work on. I hear people with cheap LS-1 parts. I never have seen these cheap parts. I have seen some cheap LT1 parts though. My uncle runs a 2000 T/A, and his verdict is either you totally build the engine, or leave it alone. He put some gears in, and did the exhaust. It is an auto and is scary fast. If you do the cam, you might as well do the heads and intake. Neither of those is all that cheap.

As for 96-98 Cobra's, I am not talking about built ones. Just stock ones with bolt ons like exhaust, gears, tuned, and the usual stuff. I am sure there are some fast Cobra's around, but I haven't seen any. I used to drive my friends 97 Cobra with 3.73's, L/T's, and exhaust. It didn't impress me much. It never turned anything better than a 13.8. We tried all night to get mid-13's.

When I was researching LS-1 stuff I was looking in Summit and Jegs. I set of long tubes is $600, the proper muffler was $470. Add some labor to that.
Oh so you wqere just looking at Summit and not looking at the tons of other F-Body shops and online classifieds. I have helped guys installing LT's and Y pipes with a catback that have spent less money than that for their LS1. Have you priced labor for a Longtubes, matching mid pipe and catback for a 4V? Most shops wants 500-900 bucks just for labor alone. Trust me LT's are a breeze on a LS1 and can be done in 4 hours.

To put a cam in an LS-1 requires ripping the motor apart. I can do cams on a 2V or 4V in an easy day. The F-body has to have the radiator pulled, intake off, and a bunch of other stuff taken off.
I have seen buddies do it in a day and not have to ripoff cylinder heads to do it. Nor do they spend 1500 bucks on cams and another 600 for good springs. Then you average in the cost to install which is another grand. Not to mention the LS1 makes a ton more power with a cam than a 4V. Anyway you slice it it cost more to mod a 4V period!

The engine is so far back in there it is a big B to work on. I hear people with cheap LS-1 parts. I never have seen these cheap parts.
It is called shopping around. I spent 200 bucks for a Magnaflow catback with an electric cutout. Yeah it wasn't new but in great shape and I shopped around for the deal I wanted.

My uncle runs a 2000 T/A, and his verdict is either you totally build the engine, or leave it alone. He put some gears in, and did the exhaust. It is an auto and is scary fast. If you do the cam, you might as well do the heads and intake. Neither of those is all that cheap.
It all depends on what you want. LSx heads flow very well in stock form and unless you are building a serious race engine, you don't need to touch the heads. You can easily get a good LS6 intake with injectors and fuel rail for 400 bucks. a 98-00 LS1 with bolt ons and a good cam with a LS6 intake will make over 400-415 at the tires. Heck if it is an auto he should have done a stall. I have seen plenty of LS1's with just a stall, a DR run 12.5 and another with just a lid, Longtubes and a DR run 12.55. How about doing that in a 96-98 Cobra?

As for 96-98 Cobra's, I am not talking about built ones. Just stock ones with bolt ons like exhaust, gears, tuned, and the usual stuff. I am sure there are some fast Cobra's around, but I haven't seen any. I used to drive my friends 97 Cobra with 3.73's, L/T's, and exhaust. It didn't impress me much. It never turned anything better than a 13.8. We tried all night to get mid-13's.
Well my 97 hangs with LS1's.

Well what your friend ran doesnt mean that is the norm. In fact that is horrible for the mods he has as a stock 96-98 Cobra will run 13.8

The point is with a 98 cobra or a 98 LS1 the Cobra will cost alot more to get 350 rwhp. You will spend alot more $$ on the Cobra and make less hp.

You will be much more limited on QUALITY Trans Am's like said previously - you either get a 100k+ beater or 50k grandpa - either way you are getting about the same value - one just costs MORE.

On the other hand, you go out and buy a 1998 Cobra (best year, IMO) and put 2 grand into it you will be smoking Chevy's, Pontiacs, etc all day long. My buddy has a 96 cobra with exhuast(not even l/t's), injectors, mass air meter, 4:10 gear, and a chip and it SMMMMOOOOKEEES most Vette's, etc.

Moral of the story, you will probably pay (at least) $2,000 more for a Trans Am of similar mileage and wear compared to the Cobra's on the market. Put that 2 grand into a Cobra and you got yourself a lethal weapon! In the words of Steven Covey "Begin with the end in mind." In this case if you are willing to spend a little more for an F-body go ahead and buy a cheaper cobra and do the RIGHT mods from the start - if you want long tubes don't mess around with a quick and easy full length exhuast set up - get the long tubes. I would also consider your own knowledge with regard to each vehicle - if you and/or your friends KNOW how to work on Mustangs, but not as much on GM's - then stick with the Mustang! If you can do a lot of LABOR yourself you will be able to build a faster car for less money - common sense.

On the other hand, you go out and buy a 1998 Cobra (best year, IMO) and put 2 grand into it you will be smoking Chevy's, Pontiacs, etc all day long. My buddy has a 96 cobra with exhuast(not even l/t's), injectors, mass air meter, 4:10 gear, and a chip and it SMMMMOOOOKEEES most Vette's, etc.
Sorry, but he wont be smoking LS1's all day long, so please don't give him false hope. If that's the case your friend is running low 12's@110-112 mph with those little mods.

I have spent 2-3 grand in my car for mods and I barely beat LS1's that have similar or better yet, little to no mods. These cars run 12.9-13.4 on average in bone stock Form. Yes, he will keep up with an LS1, but he hardly will come close to smoking them.

Moral of the story, you will probably pay (at least) $2,000 more for a Trans Am of similar mileage and wear compared to the Cobra's on the market. Put that 2 grand into a Cobra and you got yourself a lethal weapon! In the words of Steven Covey "Begin with the end in mind." In this case if you are willing to spend a little more for an F-body go ahead and buy a cheaper cobra and do the RIGHT mods from the start - if you want long tubes don't mess around with a quick and easy full length exhuast set up - get the long tubes.

He will spend less for a Cobra, but 2 grand in mods won't put him faster per say. he can spend 2 grand for a LS1 that is faster.

2 grand in a Naturally Aspirated LS1 will give you 11's easily and over 400+ rwhp which is impossible for a Cobra to do. Bolt on for bolt on the LS1 outshines the Cobra. The LS1 makes more rwhp with bolt ons, cam, intake or heads than a Cobra with the same mods. The money goes alot further in a LS1 than it will a Cobra.

I have friends with 4.10 geared cobras with a few minor bolt ons and still get beat by my LS1 with little to no mods in it and it pisses them off.

My point was the LS1 for a "good deal" will cost you at least 2 grand more - if you take that 2 grand that you save by buying a better cobra aka lower mileage, better mods, then you will have a FASTER car than an LS1- I am talking if you do the RIGHT mods with 2 grand not small mods that don't make you faster or add significant HP. Ex's long tubes, cold air, injectors, chip, gears.

Maybe your friends got a slow cobra or "slowbra" or he just can't drive or he tries to race LS1's at random speeds where he is doomed to begin with- if your car doesn't pull well going 50 but pulls better at 60 then race from a 60mph and get a "fair race" - If your friend took him from a roll then he should have NO problems keeping up if he knows how to drive. Also depends on what the LS1 has done to it.

The whole issue on this thread is what is your BUDGET - I can go out and buy a Cobra or an LS1 with mods done to it - it just depends on what my "budget" is and depending on how much I can spend - I can buy a faster car "out of the box" for example I "could" get a supercharged cobra for a little more money than a stock cobra - but that supercharged cobra may be the same price tag as the LS1 that you were also looking at. Not trying to start S$&%t but really the name of the game is buying a car WITH the mods you want to do, not buying a stock one and then paying top dollar to do the "small things" that matter. :nice:

My point was the LS1 for a "good deal" will cost you at least 2 grand more - if you take that 2 grand that you save by buying a better cobra aka lower mileage, better mods, then you will have a FASTER car than an LS1- I am talking if you do the RIGHT mods with 2 grand not small mods that don't make you faster or add significant HP. Ex's long tubes, cold air, injectors, chip, gears.

Maybe your friends got a slow cobra or "slowbra" or he just can't drive or he tries to race LS1's at random speeds where he is doomed to begin with- if your car doesn't pull well going 50 but pulls better at 60 then race from a 60mph and get a "fair race" - If your friend took him from a roll then he should have NO problems keeping up if he knows how to drive. Also depends on what the LS1 has done to it.

The whole issue on this thread is what is your BUDGET - I can go out and buy a Cobra or an LS1 with mods done to it - it just depends on what my "budget" is and depending on how much I can spend - I can buy a faster car "out of the box" for example I "could" get a supercharged cobra for a little more money than a stock cobra - but that supercharged cobra may be the same price tag as the LS1 that you were also looking at. Not trying to start S$&%t but really the name of the game is buying a car WITH the mods you want to do, not buying a stock one and then paying top dollar to do the "small things" that matter. :nice:

I think it's funny that you're trying to argue with a guy who is pretty knowledgeable and has both cars. :rlaugh:

I'm starting to think some of you aren't the "Mustang Guys" that I always thought you were...Would you honestly take a '98 and up f-body over a 96-98 cobra just because its faster?
If you asked me, I'd have to consider it heavily. I am a true stang guy :shrug:

I could care less what somebody drives on here - what is "funny" - is I am a millionaire and don't have to worry about "what car" I drive! Not to mention I will smoke either one of his cars! ":rlaugh: "

The whole point of this thread is that the author wanted as close to an objective answer as possible. Being that blackfang has, and is a fan of both cars, he can give a good answer as to the merits of both.

Too bad money can't buy intelligence.

The whole point of this thread is that the author wanted as close to an objective answer as possible. Being that blackfang has, and is a fan of both cars, he can give a good answer as to the merits of both.

Too bad money can't buy intelligence.

Damn must have caught you on your period - you seem to be riding my posts in any thread I post- my girlfriend says cranberry juice will help you with cramping.

Well to clarify your 2nd grade comment on my intelligence I will be 23 tomorrow and make WELL into the 6 figures and work 2 successful jobs. As a matter of fact that million dollar annuity I closed the other day will go nicely with the $100,000 commission that is being directly deposited into my bank account tomorrow. You are right though, graduating from one of the Top Ten Business Schools in the Country WITH honors required ZERO intelligence - I just got lucky guessing on multiple choice tests and writing about mustangs on essay exams - oh wait that wouldn't make sense...:notnice:

The whole point of the thread is relevant to what price range the "author" is willing to spend - if he throws out $9,000 THEN a Cobra is probably his only feasible option - because he'd be looking at a 200k mile Trans Am for that kind of money. If the author said I am willing to spend up to $15,000 then there would be more of a point to this "objective" thread - as in what type of car and what mods, do you buy the car with mods, do you buy a cheap stock car and mod it out, are looks more important than performance...

I guess you can be the mustang "PRO" and I will be the guy that goes around collecting pay checks...:shrug:

Damn must have caught you on your period - you seem to be riding my posts in any thread I post- my girlfriend says cranberry juice will help you with cramping.

Well to clarify your 2nd grade comment on my intelligence I will be 23 tomorrow and make WELL into the 6 figures and work 2 successful jobs. As a matter of fact that million dollar annuity I closed the other day will go nicely with the $100,000 commission that is being directly deposited into my bank account tomorrow. You are right though, graduating from one of the Top Ten Business Schools in the Country WITH honors required ZERO intelligence - I just got lucky guessing on multiple choice tests and writing about mustangs on essay exams - oh wait that wouldn't make sense...:notnice:

The whole point of the thread is relevant to what price range the "author" is willing to spend - if he throws out $9,000 THEN a Cobra is probably his only feasible option - because he'd be looking at a 200k mile Trans Am for that kind of money. If the author said I am willing to spend up to $15,000 then there would be more of a point to this "objective" thread - as in what type of car and what mods, do you buy the car with mods, do you buy a cheap stock car and mod it out, are looks more important than performance...

I guess you can be the mustang "PRO" and I will be the guy that goes around collecting pay checks...:shrug:

You're impressing no one.

Yeah I really wanted to impress some people I have NEVER met that I consult for Mustang advice - don't throw out personal attacks towards people if you don't want to hear the truth - I am impressed that you chime in on random threads with pointless comments. Let me know if you ever need a loan, when I get more time I will start my own finance company and you can be my first satisfied customer:hail2:

Yeah I really wanted to impress some people I have NEVER met that I consult for Mustang advice - don't throw out personal attacks towards people if you don't want to hear the truth - I am impressed that you chime in on random threads with pointless comments. Let me know if you ever need a loan, when I get more time I will start my own finance company and you can be my first satisfied customer:hail2:
The thing about Stangnet is, there are a lot of us here who dont just "consult eachother for mustang advice". A lot of us here have followed eachothers projects for years. Its kind of like a family :)

If you truely did'nt care to impress anyone, you would'nt have made this instigating comment:
tmoneyballin said:
I could care less what somebody drives on here - what is "funny" - is I am a millionaire and don't have to worry about "what car" I drive! Not to mention I will smoke either one of his cars! " "

By the way, I too am on the young "A list", (if you're really as wealthy as you claim to be, you'll know what I mean), but I cant imagine that anyone would give a **** about that, so I keep it to myself, as should you. :nice:
Have a good day!

Point taken, I was just responding to the initial comment that I was mocking blackfang's advice - it was good advice - but if the original author wanted RELEVANT advice there needs to be more "specifics" involved - goals, price ranges, mods, etc. Like the words of Steven Covey "Begin with the end in mind" meaning don't buy a car that "we" tell you to get if it doesn't sit well with your overall goal for the project.

Hey I love this forum and really appreciate the advice - I try and not make fun or insult people because its stirs up 2nd grade name calling - I too don't go around flaunting my wealth, but if someone wants to call me out about my value to society I will S P E L L it out - I didn't say "hey if you ever want to stay in one of my vacation condo's let me know..." I just said by the way I am not a 17 year old in high school - show me a little respect and you will get the same in return.

OFF TO A COMPANY OUTING AT "ANDRETTI'S" TOP FOUR PLACING EMPLOYEE'S GET A $100 PRIZE!!! YOU KNOW I WILL REPRESENT!!

:rlaugh:

I would reply to this with something more, but really no one gives a **** about how much money we make. The fact remains I have more seat time racing and wrench time on both cars, than you and I will leave it at that. Last time I checked I didn't degrade you, just pointed out your false information.

People like you is why this site really has been declining and you can't offer people real help on here because those like you who are experts at everything but don't know anything flap at the keyboard.