96-98 Cobra VS 99-04 GT's Looking to buy

millhouse

Founding Member
May 14, 2002
Simpsonville, SC
Ok, so the time has come to revert back to something a bit more daily driver-ish. In my price range (< $6500) I have found quite a few 96-98 Cobra's and a few 99-04 GT's. While I love the 4v cobra engine as well as cobra styling, I like the new edge look as well.

Could you guys list some pro's and con's to both?

• Sponsors (?)

99-04

Pro: I like the styling of new edges much more than the SN95's
Con: 2V

SN95 Cobra

Pro: 4V
Con: older and less-attractive appearance-wise (just my opinion)

Remember, you can always make a 2V to be just as fast as a 4V (or swap in a 4V down the line).

99-04

Pro: I like the styling of new edges much more than the SN95's
Con: 2V
^ :notnice::mad::rolleyes:
The 4V 96-98 Cobras are very stout vehicles.The parts for these cars
are more expensive than the parts for the 2V 99-04 new edges and
can be harder to get too.Both engines the 2V and 4V are both
very dependable/reliable engines as long as you do all your general
maintenance on time.The body style you like is very subjective and opinion.
Millhouse if you can find a clean 96-98 Cobra definitley get one
they are great cars and you will love it!

^ :notnice::mad::rolleyes:
The 4V 96-98 Cobras are very stout vehicles.The parts for these cars
are more expensive than the parts for the 2V 99-04 new edges and
can be harder to get too.Both engines the 2V and 4V are both
very dependable/reliable engines as long as you do all your general
maintenance on time.The body style you like is very subjective and opinion.
Millhouse if you can find a clean 96-98 Cobra definitley get one
they are great cars and you will love it!

What was so ":notnice::mad::rolleyes:" about my post?

Looks are extremely subjective...and might I say, I like both...but give the nod to the new-edge. That alone however wouldn't sway my decision.

The pro-s that I have towards the cobra is obviously the 4v engine, along with something I can't ever get in a 2v....the SVT "club". They also look badd ass...at least when lowered and a little tint added. I'm actually eyballing a clean 98 vert with 67k miles...but the damn thing is in Chicago land. I'm having a hard time justifying flying to Chicago to look at a vehicle I may not buy! The price however is so sweet! While I may not find many of those deals around, there seem to be plenty of higher mileage hardtop's around in decent condition in my price range.

With that said, that brings me to the big advantage of the hard-edge stangs. They are newer, and even if they have higher mileage...there newer! The interior is newer/cleaner and there will be less wear and tear on the drivetrain (and paint).

Decisions, decisions!

Any more help????

Are you keeping the turbo car? Will the car see any track time? If so what would be the mods?

If going to the track I would go 4v just for potential. If not just get whichever you like the best.

Looks are extremely subjective...and might I say, I like both...but give the nod to the new-edge. That alone however wouldn't sway my decision.

The pro-s that I have towards the cobra is obviously the 4v engine, along with something I can't ever get in a 2v....the SVT "club". They also look badd ass...at least when lowered and a little tint added. I'm actually eyballing a clean 98 vert with 67k miles...but the damn thing is in Chicago land. I'm having a hard time justifying flying to Chicago to look at a vehicle I may not buy! The price however is so sweet! While I may not find many of those deals around, there seem to be plenty of higher mileage hardtop's around in decent condition in my price range.

With that said, that brings me to the big advantage of the hard-edge stangs. They are newer, and even if they have higher mileage...there newer! The interior is newer/cleaner and there will be less wear and tear on the drivetrain (and paint).

Decisions, decisions!

Any more help????
Well Millhouse I see fewer 96-98 SN95 Cobras.I see alot more 2V new edges
around. I think you should check out that clean 1998 Cobra vert. aspecially
with that low of mileage.I bet it could be a really nice car to own.
If you plan making some nice power in the future the Cobra is the way to go.
I think that a 96-98 SN95 Cobra would be a fun car to have.

Are you keeping the turbo car? Will the car see any track time? If so what would be the mods?

If going to the track I would go 4v just for potential. If not just get whichever you like the best.

Nope, I'm selling the twin turbo notch. Plans have changed. I really don't have the time to keep up with it anymore, and I'm really in need of something that has A/C now that I moved to SC from MI!!!

I'm not too concerned about taking it to the track either...but just looking for something fun to cruise in.

Well Millhouse I see fewer 96-98 SN95 Cobras.I see alot more 2V new edges
around. I think you should check out that clean 1998 Cobra vert. aspecially
with that low of mileage.I bet it could be a really nice car to own.
If you plan making some nice power in the future the Cobra is the way to go.
I think that a 96-98 SN95 Cobra would be a fun car to have.

I agree, from the many pictures I've seen...the car looks NICE! Hell, the leather seats don't even have a crack in them. The carfax shows 1 minor accident which for me is really no big deal, but there have been 7 owners! It's a hell of a deal, but it would be an 11 hour drive with a truck and trailer and I would spend as much on fuel as a one way plane ticket. My wife thinks I'm absolutely crazy for even thinking about putting so much money into looking at a vehicle that I may not buy!

I do agree with you mazen189, the 96-98 cobras do look bad ass. I love their front fascia and hood!

My experience has been that although Cobras are more expensive in every way (buy, maintain, fuel, mod, insure) they hold their value much better so if you are planning on owning a Mustang long term (10 years or more) then definitely go with a Cobra.