96-98 guys beware

AntiRice98

Dec 6, 2005
Ok. I just got a set of comp cams installed in my car...the car sounds sweet and i bounce in my seat when im sitting at a light, and according to dyno results gave me a strong 30hp to the wheels...however to make your GT run faster than a civic after getting the cams in you have to have your car chiped, becuase the stock computer cannot keep up with the cams and is not throughing gas down the valves at the right time...the chip well set you back another 400 if you have it done right...i didn't know about that, but by the time i found out i need a chip it was too late...however the good side to the chip is it adds another 15-20 hp on top of the 30 the cams gave you...just thought i'de let everone know...:nice:

• Sponsors (?)

AntiRice98 said:
Ok. I just got a set of comp cams installed in my car...the car sounds sweet and i bounce in my seat when im sitting at a light, and according to dyno results gave me a strong 30hp to the wheels...however to make your GT run faster than a civic after getting the cams in you have to have your car chiped, becuase the stock computer cannot keep up with the cams and is not throughing gas down the valves at the right time...the chip well set you back another 400 if you have it done right...i didn't know about that, but by the time i found out i need a chip it was too late...however the good side to the chip is it adds another 15-20 hp on top of the 30 the cams gave you...just thought i'de let everone know...:nice:
Very cool. Did you have a baseline dyno to compare to so you could see how much the cams added? Also, how do they seem to affect gas mileage?

AntiRice98 said:
Yep, I just bought the 262ah's. But this is the reason I'm just having MD do all of my work and tune the car.

AntiRice98 said:

There is no way that cams and a chip and tune alone will give you a 45-50 rwhp gain. Maybe 15-20 for the cams and 5-10 for the chip & tune. (Based on an N/A 1998 GT). You would need a complete headswap to see gains like that.

AntiRice98 said:
You did cams before the PI swap?

mrvax said:
There is no way that cams and a chip and tune alone will give you a 45-50 rwhp gain. Maybe 15-20 for the cams and 5-10 for the chip & tune. (Based on an N/A 1998 GT). You would need a complete headswap to see gains like that.

he probably read what are some potential gains out of the cams but yeah he might of gained 10-15HP and about another 5-15HP from the chip because to se gains like that he would need a P.I swap

k for starters when i said i was slower than a civic its because you have to have a chip or your computer will make your car retarted and miss like crazy so you can barley drive it...which is why i said i was slow...and no he didn't have time to do a baseline on mine but he did do a green 96 gt a couple days before mine and he put the same stuff in and all he had was exh...he was 187 rwhp w/o cams then with cams he was 212 rwhp... with out the chip.. and im only 17 no ****ing way i can afford a cobra...wish i could though...