96-98 V6's: Any Differences?

StangGrrLy

Miss StangNet 2003
Founding Member
Sep 25, 2002
Regina, Saskachewan
Hey guys, I think I posted back a long time ago about this, but I can't find the thread. Anyways, I am looking into getting a 96-98 V6 in the near future, and I'm just curious if there are any major mechanical differences between the years? It will definitely be 5-speed, so I'm not concerned with auto tranny issues. If there are any differences or problem areas that I should watch out for, post em up. Thanks guys! :)

• Sponsors (?)

'98 is different from all other years. I don't know why, or how exactly, but if you look through alot of mod items, some aren't available for the '98. It's by itself for some of the instructions in the Haynes Manual if I remember correctly too.

96-98 are not split port heads, they are single. 1998 was it's own model for some reason.. I don't know exactly why it is either, but it is harder to find parts for 1998 models. Split port heads came in during the 99+ years. I believe the pre-98 models had major head gasket issues, as well as some minor recalls. 95-97 had a quoted 145bhp and 98 had 150bhp. I'm not sure if It's just me or not, but the stock release bearing in the clutch is very noisy and mine needs to be replaced ASAP.

Yeah, my release bearing has been squeeking at me as long as I've had the car. Finally replacing it this summer, along with the rest of the clutch to be safe.

BTW, '94 was also quoted at 145bhp, and I think it went up to 150 or 160 in '96, but don't quote me on that one.