96 An Up Obd2 Pushrod 5.0 Engines...

Three50won

10 Year Member
Jul 11, 2010
A guy brought up an intersting question last night on a Mustang page. Why don't more people use the 96 and up 5.0 engines with the ECU in the 94-95 Mustangs? Or even in the 96 and up Mustangs as well? They are OBD2 and there are tons of stuff out there to upgrade them. Any thoughts on this?

• Sponsors (?)

I don't think there is a whole lot of advantage to it. Logistics more likely. How many people out there are going to do a tune for a 98' Explorer ECU? Those are also solid state ignition, means running a whole new harness. If you are going through that much hassle, you might as well go to a diyautotune setup.

Kurt

What would the benefit be? obd2 is nice I guess, but we get by with what we have. I agree with revhead, tuning could be a hassle, but of course you could use a hand-held with obd2. I'd imagine the full harness and other engine components would be needed (ignition, 4 o2's, different injectors, MAF connectors with integral ACT, CCRM, the works), and there would be complexities with the auto trans. Seems like a lot of time & expense for something that won't add anything.

Reactions: 1 user
Go to diyautotune.com and look at there pnp options, for what it's worth they suggest the Ford EDIS system when doing a coil on plug ignition. That system is on the Explorer 5.0. Just use the Explorer engine add a cam, delete the maf cause the megasquirt won't need it and drive. If I did it again I would do megasquirt.

You would have to call and ask. I'm sure there is an easy way to make it work. You can run the PNP with or without a MAF. The MAF allows it to adjust more readily for chances in density and so forth, but it's more hassle and more setup time.

Kurt