96 Cobra cooling issues resolved....

hkopp

Aug 12, 2001
Boise ID
Finally! It was running so warm in the summer it was undrivable, the computer would start shutting down cylinders. I replaced the stock radiator with a fluidyne 4 core, new hoses and 180 thermostat. It still ran warm...too warm, however I had the system vacuumed - and there was an air bubble that caused a cooling problem.

Also found the stock gauge is way off...when listed on the 'L' the temperature is actually 189' - as determined by a calibrated Snap-on gauge. The guy at the shop said once these get too hot the sending unit is toast...and needs to be replaced. Sure enough...it was. Now it runs at mid gauge...

• Sponsors (?)

Interesting. Glad to hear you solved your problem. However, you *may* not have even needed a new radiator if an air bubble was the culprit. Was the stock radiator trashed? Did you try burping the cooling system too?

"Burping" the cooling system by removing the plug (1/4" ratchet end fits it) on the coolant crossover tube in front of the alternator usually cures most overheating issues that stem from trapped air in the system. Seems like you had a pretty severe case if you had to have the trapped air vacuumed out. :shrug:

BTW - The stock dash gauges tend to be "inaccurate." IIRC, I think the 96-98 water temp gauge were more accurate than the 99+ ones though. Add an aftermarket water temp gauge to give you piece of mind.

:cheers:

Forgot one other crucial item...

It was also missing the bottom 1" spoiler that fits under the radiator support. With that thing gone, it'd heat with the new radiator and it vacuumed out. That 11 dollar small plastic item took it from overheating on the freeway to running normal. crazy.

Yes, did try burping it prior to the radiator. Actually using a special vacuum unit works better than just burping out of that crossover tube. The old unit looked fine...car just turned 50k miles. It could not be driven anywhere..period. Ford's TSB required replacing radiator, ac condensor, and a list of other stuff resulting in a $2100 price tag. I got away with $378....for everything. Radiator was purchased in a group buy some time ago here...

Can't wait to hook up my Autometer ultra-lite gauge...waiting to get the pillar pod and one more gauge...don't want just one hanging up there. Any suggestions? Oil pressure might be ok...stock gauge is decent for that tho.

:banana:

hkopp said:
...I got away with $378....for everything. Radiator was purchased in a group buy some time ago here...

Can't wait to hook up my Autometer ultra-lite gauge...waiting to get the pillar pod and one more gauge...don't want just one hanging up there. Any suggestions? Oil pressure might be ok...stock gauge is decent for that tho...

Oh, ok so you did the cooling TSB. Good deal, much better than letting Ford charge you an arm & a leg. :nice: As far as the other gauge goes, I would go with oil pressure. I'm pretty sure the 96-98 dash oil pressure gauge is nothing more than an "idiot gauge" as well, if they are using the same 6 psi open/close switch. I'm running Phantom 2 1/16th" electrical oil pressure & water temp gauges on my A-pillar:

nov24007.jpg

hkopp said:
Finally! It was running so warm in the summer it was undrivable, the computer would start shutting down cylinders. I replaced the stock radiator with a fluidyne 4 core, new hoses and 180 thermostat. It still ran warm...too warm, however I had the system vacuumed - and there was an air bubble that caused a cooling problem.

Also found the stock gauge is way off...when listed on the 'L' the temperature is actually 189' - as determined by a calibrated Snap-on gauge. The guy at the shop said once these get too hot the sending unit is toast...and needs to be replaced. Sure enough...it was. Now it runs at mid gauge...

i am in the market for a radiator, my car is virtually stock, i live in VERT hot and humid conditions, how much did you pay for yours?

Paid 325 for my Fluidyne...

but it was a group buy on one of the forums...cannot recall which. 30+ of us went in at the same time and got a killer deal. It is massive...I just returned from SLC and it was over 90 there...ran AC on high and drove 200 miles at 3200 rpm (4:11's)....runs about 189 degrees now. Before it would shut down after 3 miles.

Its a great unit...very impressed with Fluidynes workmanship.

~H