96 Cobra Trouble

Discussion in 'SVT Tech Forum' started by The answers circled, Sep 26, 2012.

1. I have a 96 cobra car that won't idle in cold weather but when It warms up it will hold a rough idle. When I stomp the gas it hesitates and then spits and sputters when I get to 3000 rpm. It has a funny idle but runs fine from 1000 to 3000 rpm. When I hit 3000 it looses all power and struggles to about 4000 rpm then it will jerk u back in your seat. What could the problem be ? Iac? Or miss fire ? I have no clue the code it throws out is number 1 miss fire but I've changed the plugs three times and it dont help. any help would be great! Thanks
  2. What codes do you specifically have?
  3. Sounds like it could be a IMRC plates sticking causing it.
  4. Misfire can be caused by several different things. Check the coil to make sure there is spark on cyl. 1 or whichever cyl. you are having issues with. Bad fuel injector could also be the cause. If you have a compression gauge, I would install it and check compression on cyl. 1 and compare with the rest on that bank. Low compression can cause this and maybe due to a burnt valve, worn rings, cracked cyl. head, or bad piston. Lots have to be checked and verified, not just replacing a spark plug.
  5. I'll start with doing the imrc delete and see if that helps. Then check the coil and injectors. I don't have the stuff for a cylinder check and all that. I'll let you guys know how it goes. Thanks for all the info and help