96 cobra

SXYXC

Apr 22, 2007
I know i ask questions about diffrent cars all the time, but i am looking, and finding some nice mustangs that arn't auto... Thats the only reason i want to sell mine..

but are 96 cobras nice.. or are they lacking in performance like 96 gt's?? also if i get one is there anything i should know about them.. I found a good deal on one with 66K miles.. and i was thinking of talking my dad into letting me get it, but i just wanted to know more about the 96 cobra in general

• Sponsors (?)

naw i know that, but i was talking about performance.. like how well the heads flow compaired to the 99+ and the machs, and how well the intake is.. I think i remeber reading somewhere that tehy have something like 305 at the flywheel.. but how do they run?? like what all was changed from the 96-98 and the 99-01 cobras and the machs???

The 96-98 Cobras have the "B" style splitport heads and the 99+ have the "C" style tumbleport heads. Performance was improved, but either would be a substantial (read night and day) improvement over a non-PI, convertible, automatic.

96-98 Cobra's are the crowds favorite with performance under your foot and top notch looks. It comes with 305hp to the crank and should put down over 265rwhp down stock. The heads flow really well and will spank a new edge GT. It's considered a high 13 sec ride out the box but you really have to be a great driver to achieve good times. A couple of bolt ons respond well to these cars like a full exhaust, t/b, cai, and DEFINITELY gears. These cars has alot of potential because they are semi light compared to other generations of mustang.

These Cobra's also have these things called IMRC's they open up at higher RPM so maximum air can be consumed for performance. If I bought one now I would check if they stuck closed, open or halfway....Some people do a delete of this if they want to go hardcore. I would also check the synchros in the transmission because they tend to fail and grind if the car was beaten on.

Compared to the 99-01 Cobra's, the new edge was suppose to come with a little more horsepower but it became a complete dog. It comes with IRS which weighs it down significantly. The 2001's are the best ones out of that generation. The Mach 1 is just a bar above the 2001 Cobra's because they a light and the heads flow awesome. The Mach 1's come with a solid axle just the 96-98 Cobra's. I hope that helps.

well it would be very nice, but it is also a convertible. so heavy... but still better i know that... and i have heard they respond to to bolt ons soo much better... it has custom x-pipe, not told if it was O/R or catted, and it has flow 40 series.. (don't car for too much but i can change that) other wise mostly stock except radio... i am talking to the guy and i hope i can get something to work out... but i don't know

If I was to do it again I would have bought a 96-98 cobra put a super charger on it and call it a day.

+1

I should have bought my high school dream car...a yellow '98 Cobra vert.

Only reason i bought the Gt was because the Cobra had a single CD player and the Gt had the 6-disk changer. :nonono:

Oh and because it was brand new too :rlaugh:

I love my 96 Cobra! I have had alot of stangs and for some reason I love this one the most. I only have o/r h-pipe, mufflers and a chip with 3.73's. The car will light the tires all the way through second and has no problem hitting 150 (first hand experience) The engine sound is increadiable and I think they look sexy. Def. do gears, most will say 4.10's but I prefer 3.73's because of all the highway driving I do. It is trully a dual purpose car. If you just want to cruise in comfort and style the car is completly docile, but when you mash the loud pedal the thing really flys!

LOL, WTF, how come my dad hasnt boughten me a dam car yet....LOL, he said "i promise, one day, ill buy you that mustang you want" its been like 2 years since highschool and i didnt get a car...lol, my brother and sister got a brand new car when they graduated. WTF

but yeah, id go with a Cobra, if its under 11k, thats awesome, other than that, i wouldnt pay more for a 12 year old car....things dont stay good on them forever u know. and from what i know, ur 17/18 yeras old and guessing ur still in highschool right? yeah , that is A LOT OF CAR, so be careful, dont be a Pendejo with it.

96-98 Cobra's are the crowds favorite with performance under your foot and top notch looks. It comes with 305hp to the crank and should put down over 265rwhp down stock. The heads flow really well and will spank a new edge GT. It's considered a high 13 sec ride out the box but you really have to be a great driver to achieve good times. A couple of bolt ons respond well to these cars like a full exhaust, t/b, cai, and DEFINITELY gears. These cars has alot of potential because they are semi light compared to other generations of mustang.

These Cobra's also have these things called IMRC's they open up at higher RPM so maximum air can be consumed for performance. If I bought one now I would check if they stuck closed, open or halfway....Some people do a delete of this if they want to go hardcore. I would also check the synchros in the transmission because they tend to fail and grind if the car was beaten on.

Compared to the 99-01 Cobra's, the new edge was suppose to come with a little more horsepower but it became a complete dog. It comes with IRS which weighs it down significantly. The 2001's are the best ones out of that generation. The Mach 1 is just a bar above the 2001 Cobra's because they a light and the heads flow awesome. The Mach 1's come with a solid axle just the 96-98 Cobra's. I hope that helps.

A 99 is right with a 96-98 Cobra. The weight is very similar.

The 2001 would beat all the SVT's before it.

The intake runner manifold control valves are on a few of their DOHC engines.

They will NOT spank a new edge GT. A 96-98 Cobra traps 1-2 mph faster than a 99-04 (96-98 PI) car. Is that a spanking?

Hmm....

A 96-98 Have the IMRC's and B heads. They flow really good, but their velocity isn't that great. They are a good head for a boosted application but you need a lot of RPM to make use of them.

The C heads aka tumble port design on the 99+ is a very good head for a NA setup. The 99 and 01 Cobra run on par to each other(assuming the 99 has the fix done).

The only major issue the 96's had was the cooling tsb. Other than that, they run the same as any other 96-98 Cobra.

A 99 is right with a 96-98 Cobra. The weight is very similar.

The 2001 would beat all the SVT's before it.

The intake runner manifold control valves are on a few of their DOHC engines.

They will NOT spank a new edge GT. A 96-98 Cobra traps 1-2 mph faster than a 99-04 (96-98 PI) car. Is that a spanking?

Hmm....

In stock form, i honestly think a 96-98 cobra can spank it, the PI GT's are not fast enough stock. Modded different story.

Hey winning is winning even if its by an inch or a mile! ahahaa. ok I exaggerated on the spanking part but i know it wins! :p

Yeah, i still have to do alot to see if i can even get the car. Talk to guy selling, make sure i can get something to work, talk to my dad to see if he thinks i can handle such a car, talk to my grandfather the guy i owe some money to.. (not much) so it will be nice to see if i can get it or not