96 GT 2v stutters under WOT

invertmast

Founding Member
Dec 12, 2001
North Port, FL
So i was on my way home from dropping off a car payment yesterday and decide to romp on the car a bit.. as soon as I got done, the car started running extremely bad. Like.. whenever you would romp on it again, it would stutter for a while before it would pickup.. At first i thought it might be a head gasket, but nope.. its not (i checked). So i replaced the spark plugs w/ new ones.. it got a little bit better, but it still did it. Soo i replaced the spark plug wires, and its alot better now, but still does it. I noticed it didn't do it till i was down to 1/4 tank, so i figured maybe i have some bad gas, or water in the gas, so i drove it around till it got to around a 1/8 of a tank, then i filled it up to a 1/2 tank. But it still does it.... So i'm out of ideas, except for maybe it possibly being a fuel pump going bad?

Anyone got any ideas? cause i need help ASAP!

• Sponsors (?)

invertmast said:
So i was on my way home from dropping off a car payment yesterday and decide to romp on the car a bit.. as soon as I got done, the car started running extremely bad. Like.. whenever you would romp on it again, it would stutter for a while before it would pickup.. At first i thought it might be a head gasket, but nope.. its not (i checked). So i replaced the spark plugs w/ new ones.. it got a little bit better, but it still did it. Soo i replaced the spark plug wires, and its alot better now, but still does it. I noticed it didn't do it till i was down to 1/4 tank, so i figured maybe i have some bad gas, or water in the gas, so i drove it around till it got to around a 1/8 of a tank, then i filled it up to a 1/2 tank. But it still does it.... So i'm out of ideas, except for maybe it possibly being a fuel pump going bad?

Anyone got any ideas? cause i need help ASAP!

I just bought a 96 GT and mine is doing the same thing it sounds like. When the car is in park and you romp on the gas it hesitates for a second. I am hoping a new set of plugs will fix it.

DAVES96 said:
I just bought a 96 GT and mine is doing the same thing it sounds like. When the car is in park and you romp on the gas it hesitates for a second. I am hoping a new set of plugs will fix it.

my car has been doing that since i bought it... and the plugs/wires were brand new then. Maybe its something with the NPIs lol

RandyStinchcomb said:
what are you all using for sparkplugs(brands) and what plug gap? how good are the wires and fuel filter?

autolite AP764 gapped to 0.054", motorcraft 8mm wires that have only 15k on them, fuel filter has about 4000 on it, and stock coil packs (if that makes a difference). Punching the gas in first on cold pavement makes the tires spin, but when i get traction it bogs a little

Might not be the same thing but mine was stuttering, almost died, when I would romp on it and it was at 4K rpm and above. I put some gas treatment stuff first, then new tank of gas and replaced gas filter. Problem solved instantly.
I hope it's something that easy for you guys.

OK here's what i've done.

New autolita 764's gapped @.054"
New Motorcraft 8mm wires
New fuel filter
Seafoam thru the PCV valve vacuum line
Seafoam in the gas tank
Fuel injector cleaner in the gas tank
Fuel pressure @ 32psi w/ the engine running and the vacuum line on..

And the car STILL stutters. I just got done filling the car up and it seems worse now more than ever. I don't get it... only thing i haven't replaced of checked is the fuel injectors and the coil packs..

A couple of fill-ups and adding of injector cleaner will be required but if you want take it to a shop and get an injector cleaner service.

Check the MAF sensor as well and see if it is dirty/oily

alright.. . I have noticed that the car doesn't stumble as bad when its cool. Whens its not warmed up it only stumbles around 2800rpm then picks up after a few seconds with the power that it used to have, but when its is warmed up it stumbles all the way thru the rpm range even when in neutral... It also has a bad vibration that feels like its in the left cyl. bank when its stumbling, which just so happens, on that same coil pack, the "male" portion of the connector is bad, so i'm wondering if that coil pack is bad... anyone know if a dealership can check them to see if there bad?

wait, your plugs are gapped at 0.054? According to your sig, you are running the FRPP supercharger, which leads me to believe that 0.054 is too large of a gap. I think guys that are running FI on here are gapping their plugs to 0.035, try that and see if it fixes anything. 0.054 is the correct gap for a N/A 4.6

Ok, thats something i never thought about... i'll try regapping them to .035 then

Ohh yea..

I also installed a new set of coil packs and cleaned the MAF and it is TONS better, but it still has a bit of a stutter to it... and now there seems to be a scraping/grinding feel when you let out the clutch and move very slowly, but i seem to think that it has to do w/ the install of the Tubular K member, as it never did it before and it doesn't have that feel when in reverse or at highspeeds.