96 GT keep or get 99 GT

CanadaStang said:
You can get everything you need from Parkway Ford:
http://performance.parkwayfordga.com/2vheadswap.asp
then all you need to do is tap the aluminum crossover for the second temp sensor and your set.

If he has the NPI aluminum crossover intake (like I do) he can swap the crossover to the PI intake and no tapping required. :D

The '99 guys like to dog us out but the truth is, once we add the change they got we're probably running stronger than them based on our piston design.

• Sponsors (?)

GDawg said:
If he has the NPI aluminum crossover intake (like I do) he can swap the crossover to the PI intake and no tapping required. :D

Nope. the previous owner just replaced the intake manifold with the plastic onehow much is that gonna run me. i sure hope with about $2000 i can get all this done.

jcint said:
GDawg said:

Nope. the previous owner just replaced the intake manifold with the plastic onehow much is that gonna run me. i sure hope with about $2000 i can get all this done.

I got the Parkway Ford kit and got it installed for about $1,900 total. If you can do the work yourself or get a buddy to help you, you'll have $1,700 with cams and no labor $$$. Repeat after me: BUILT, NOT BOUGHT. That's what you tell all the peeps that roll up in a stock 99-04 GTs. :rolleyes:

Joel's98GT said:
i still have stock heads and beat bolt on 99+ most of the time, I don't have alot invested either.

i geuss it was a drivers race cause the 99 and ups do have 30 to 40 more horses than the 96-98..... statisticly the 99 and ups should beat us but it all depends on the driver

chimchim said:
Where you been? I thought you'd chime in on an oil leak I had a few weeks ago, but you were nowhere to be found. Ears and MikeZ28 hooked me up. Oh well, I'll need you again some time. :p

:lol: Haven't been on here too much lately, hope your Stang is feeling well again. The best way to stop an oil leak is by applying steady direct pressure to the injury with a cold damp sterile cloth. Do not use a touniquet as this may cut off the oil supply to the affected limb. :scratch: Oh, wait a second, I could be mixed up here, oh crap, never mind :D

I also want to do the PI swap. I already have a set of 12k mile complete PI heads from a 2000 GT with the cam covers. I bought them off ebay for $440 shipped. I'm thinking about having Anderson Ford stage 3 port and polish them and add comp springs and cams. Even if I throw them on bone stock I know I'll have gobs more power. I was going to buy the bolt and gasket kit from Parkway but my buddy says I should buy ARP head studs and also new chains and guides. Did anybody need new chains and guides when they did the head swap? BTW I have 88k on my car.

jcint said:
I have a 96 GT I think it's stock, should i keep this and get the PI heads or should i just sell and get a 99 gt. If I keep the 96 and get the PI heads what else would i need to do the swap. I know they sell a kit with allthe gaskets but do i need to get computer done,or something eles changed/strengthend? How much money (estimate) am i looking to put into the swap+extras :shrug:

I have a '99 GT and I love it! My first mustang was a '95 GT, but all it took was one look at the '99 to know that I would have one. My current car is also a lot faster than my '95 was. :)

I like the boxy style of the 99+ much better than the curvy SN95's. I think it's a much more agressive and sexy body style.

CanadaStang said:
You can get everything you need from Parkway Ford:
http://performance.parkwayfordga.com/2vheadswap.asp
then all you need to do is tap the aluminum crossover for the second temp sensor and your set.
If i get this kit do i need to get cams? Should i get the heads ported and polished or not worth it. I don't plan on getting a sc or blower. I just need help getting everything all at once.

jcint said:
If i get this kit do i need to get cams? Should i get the heads ported and polished or not worth it. I don't plan on getting a sc or blower. I just need help getting everything all at once.

Hmmm... bit of a toss up. Just porting the heads will give you some gains over the stock Pi's but it's debateable as to how much. But if you plan on adding cams in the future then I'd suggest getting them ported as the gains with ported heads and cams is much better than just cams alone. [meaning to take full advantage of the ported heads you need cams too.]
I bought my PI head swap kit from Parkway Ford and was quite impressed with the service. I wanted to get all new parts as opposed to buying used as I didn't want to bother redoing the heads and then scrounging around trying to get all the other parts together. I'm very happy with added performance of the Pi heads. The only down side is I now have to use 91 octane, but with the extra Hp I gained, it's a small trade off.

Joel's98GT said:
i still have stock heads and beat bolt on 99+ most of the time, I don't have alot invested either.

:bs: :bs: :bs: :bs:

A pre 99 mustang has less than 200 rwhp stock.

A 99+ mustang has 220-230 rwhp stock.

You claim to beat 'bolt on 99+'s'. Can we assume that they have a CAI, exhaust and pullies? That would put them close to 250.

Now explain to me how you beat them most of the time.

hmmm is it true the 98 have more HP than the 96? I know the 99 and up do but i think i read the 98 have like 10 more HP than the 96-97. Oh well I'm saving up for the PI swap and cams. Got half the money then my wife FINDS my stash and spends some of it...DAM! Gotta stop hidding my money in my underware. :banana:

02mingreyconv said:
:bs: :bs: :bs: :bs:

A pre 99 mustang has less than 200 rwhp stock.

A 99+ mustang has 220-230 rwhp stock.

You claim to beat 'bolt on 99+'s'. Can we assume that they have a CAI, exhaust and pullies? That would put them close to 250.

Now explain to me how you beat them most of the time.

sorry i didn't have the page link in my sig :)
i'm on the right.
hpim0317.jpg

http://forums.modulardepot.com/flyshow.php?&s=&showid=358
This season I will make 12's on the stock heads, that now have 113k on them :) since that run I have pulled over 100lbs more out of the car, added a plenum and TB, and in a couple months will have longtubes.

as you can see from the slip i drive decent too, it's cool, you aren't the first. :spot:

i'll admit, from a roll, an ok driver with a few bolt ons will pull me up top, but i rarely ever race from a roll.

ACSPONY said:
Damn, you gave me hope lol. Mine's got 117 on the clock. I may have to look at that PI swap now..Good to know I've got plenty of life left over here :nice:

don't worry about mileage. worring about that will not allow you too enjoy your car. as long as you take care of the car and replace stuff when it breaks then you will be ok. most of the 5.0 mustangs you see on the road are way over 150k miles they just have newer motors in them.