96 GT keep or get 99 GT

02mingreyconv said:
:bs: :bs: :bs: :bs:

A pre 99 mustang has less than 200 rwhp stock.

A 99+ mustang has 220-230 rwhp stock.

You claim to beat 'bolt on 99+'s'. Can we assume that they have a CAI, exhaust and pullies? That would put them close to 250.

Now explain to me how you beat them most of the time.

you know how he beats them . HE CAN DRIVE HIS ASS OFF by looking at those times. 1.76 60 ft is excellent.

and looking at his trap he is making about the same hp/weight sounds liek he did some weight reduction to get that time out of the car.

so while the guy in a 99+ is listening too his mach 460 and lighting the tires up from the launch and not powershifting. this guy is nailing the launch and shifting hard

• Sponsors (?)

MikeZ28 said:
you know how he beats them . HE CAN DRIVE HIS ASS OFF by looking at those times. 1.76 60 ft is excellent.

and looking at his trap he is making about the same hp/weight sounds liek he did some weight reduction to get that time out of the car.

so while the guy in a 99+ is listening too his mach 460 and lighting the tires up from the launch and not powershifting. this guy is nailing the launch and shifting hard
Well ya, there's that and the fact that the track he's running at has a density altitude of -1244ft below sea level.

CanadaStang said:
Well ya, there's that and the fact that the track he's running at has a density altitude of -1244ft below sea level.

yeah that was an awesome day, that was no wieght reduction other than empty trunk.

this year i've cut out about 125lbs so far, added a plenum and TB too, yet to go to the track untill i install my linelock. With a set of headers (next mod) it should go 12's on stock heads

MikeZ28 said:

Joel can drive his car, no doubt.

But take a 99+ and give him similar mods and it will be in the 12's (4.10 gears, exhaust, CAI, pullies, shifter, suspension and DR's).

So I would get a 99+ mustang over the older ones any day if we are comparing power & speed. Now if we start to talk about looks etc then it comes down to personal taste and opinion.

Joe

Joel's98GT said:
yeah that was an awesome day, that was no wieght reduction other than empty trunk.

this year i've cut out about 125lbs so far, added a plenum and TB too, yet to go to the track untill i install my linelock. With a set of headers (next mod) it should go 12's on stock heads

Very impressive indeed!! :nice:
I'm thinking the only way my car would have gone through the 1/4 mile that fast before the Pi headswap, would be to push it out the back of a cargo plane. :D

Robin said:
I have a '99 GT and I love it! My first mustang was a '95 GT, but all it took was one look at the '99 to know that I would have one. My current car is also a lot faster than my '95 was. :)

I like the boxy style of the 99+ much better than the curvy SN95's. I think it's a much more agressive and sexy body style.

I hate the 99-04's. They are by far the worst looking stangs I've seen. I was about to buy one but I stop myself and said "How the hell can I buy a car that I hate how it looks" So I jumped on a 96 gt. It has 91K on right now and my plan is to do the headswap before it hits 100K. Keep the 96 gt and keep modding. You won't regret it. :lol:

Azarello said:
I hate the 99-04's. They are by far the worst looking stangs I've seen. I was about to buy one but I stop myself and said "How the hell can I buy a car that I hate how it looks" So I jumped on a 96 gt. It has 91K on right now and my plan is to do the headswap before it hits 100K. Keep the 96 gt and keep modding. You won't regret it. :lol:
As 02mingreyconv says, it all boils down to personal preference. Say, does that mean you'd take a mid 70's era Mustang II over an 04' GT? :D

CanadaStang said:
As 02mingreyconv says, it all boils down to personal preference. ...

That's it, in a nutshell. :) I fell in love with my car the minute I saw it, and I knew I was going to buy it.

Getting back to the original poster - something else (and I didn't read every single reply, so forgive me if this is a repost) to think about is your financial position.

Does it make more sense to keep your current car & put money into it? (meaning - is it paid off?) Or does it make more sense to take on a car payment, or even a bigger car payment to get a newer car with more HP before any mods are done?

Robin said:
That's it, in a nutshell. :) I fell in love with my car the minute I saw it, and I knew I was going to buy it.

Getting back to the original poster - something else (and I didn't read every single reply, so forgive me if this is a repost) to think about is your financial position.

Does it make more sense to keep your current car & put money into it? (meaning - is it paid off?) Or does it make more sense to take on a car payment, or even a bigger car payment to get a newer car with more HP before any mods are done?

45 hp (or 35 extra hp in my case with a '98) is hardly worth buying another car even if it's used. Put the PI heads on my car for under $1000 and my car will be 10 horses over a '99+ without other mods. Then every other mod is mod for mod.

Plus, if you can't drive it what's the horsepower going to do for you anyway?

My SC is on it's way and then the "boxes" won't stand a chance until they go blown too... My next door neighbor soups up Corvettes and he and I are really getting along. This winter the pony goes into the garage and next spring is going to come out a beast with body stylings too... :banana:

:D

02mingreyconv said:
Joel can drive his car, no doubt.

But take a 99+ and give him similar mods and it will be in the 12's (4.10 gears, exhaust, CAI, pullies, shifter, suspension and DR's).

So I would get a 99+ mustang over the older ones any day if we are comparing power & speed. Now if we start to talk about looks etc then it comes down to personal taste and opinion.

Joe

i don't deny that, but a majority of GT's don't have all those mods :)

if i had to do it again, i would have bought a 96-97 because you don't have as much crap to deal with from this bastard year, then i would swap in a explorer motor. (PI motor aluminum block)

actually i may do the 2nd part anyway :)

After much consideration I think i will keep the 96 gt and do the Pi swap. I really do love the look and feel just wish it had a little more POWER! My only concern is that it does eat up alot of oil meaning every 3000 or so miles i need to put maybe 2 quarts back into the engine. but it has no leaks or smokes! :shrug:

GDawg said:
45 hp (or 35 extra hp in my case with a '98) is hardly worth buying another car even if it's used. Put the PI heads on my car for under $1000 and my car will be 10 horses over a '99+ without other mods. Then every other mod is mod for mod.

Plus, if you can't drive it what's the horsepower going to do for you anyway?

My SC is on it's way and then the "boxes" won't stand a chance until they go blown too... My next door neighbor soups up Corvettes and he and I are really getting along. This winter the pony goes into the garage and next spring is going to come out a beast with body stylings too... :banana:

:D

Weelllll ............... you had to spend money to modify your car to get it to where my car is now. :)

Again, it all comes down to personal preference (and what you can afford). I love my sexy 99+ as it is... it doesn't need a body kit.