96 GT running HOT!!!

Hello everyone!

Got a bit of a problem with my 96 GT Vert. Car is stock sans UPR x pipe and an auto to manual swap which was done last week.(Wooohooo)

Anyways on to the problem:

The fan will not turn on unless the A/C is turned on. If the car is left standing with no A/C, the temp will gradually come up to the M and a little past it on the stock guage. I'm kind of at a loss here.:shrug:

So far I've replaced:

-Thermostat (stock 195deg)
-CCRM (inside passenger fenderwell)

I havent replaced either of the temp sensors in the coolant crossover yet...
The coolant is good and there is no air trapped in the system...

Thanks for the help in advance....:SNSign:

• Sponsors (?)

Hello everyone!

Got a bit of a problem with my 96 GT Vert. Car is stock sans UPR x pipe and an auto to manual swap which was done last week.(Wooohooo)

Anyways on to the problem:

The fan will not turn on unless the A/C is turned on. If the car is left standing with no A/C, the temp will gradually come up to the M and a little past it on the stock guage. I'm kind of at a loss here.:shrug:

So far I've replaced:

-Thermostat (stock 195deg)
-CCRM (inside passenger fenderwell)

I havent replaced either of the temp sensors in the coolant crossover yet...
The coolant is good and there is no air trapped in the system...

Thanks for the help in advance....:SNSign:

not sure , probably need some wiring diagrams to try to find the problem with this one .....unless someone can post up that has had this same problem , I think the fans have 2 speeds might wanna try a new motor and go from there

I just went through this recently. Do yourself a favor & get a fan & radiator for a 97-04 model. You are in the first stages of a fan failure!! The fans on a 94-96 all have the same problem. This is my third 96 car & all of them had this problem.

Nope. The hoses are a-ok...

I'm 99% sure its the radiator fan thing everyone is talking about...
I'll know for sure when I replace it.

BTW, is it possible just to swap the motor itself, or does the whole fan/shroud assembly have to replaced as a whole. The reason I ask is, b/c I have a 98GT which suffered a bad hit, but I just might be able to salvage a radiator fan from it...:)

Nope. The hoses are a-ok...

I'm 99% sure its the radiator fan thing everyone is talking about...
I'll know for sure when I replace it.

BTW, is it possible just to swap the motor itself, or does the whole fan/shroud assembly have to replaced as a whole. The reason I ask is, b/c I have a 98GT which suffered a bad hit, but I just might be able to salvage a radiator fan from it...:)

I'm not sure if you could swap the motors. The newer fans have different shrouds and are a little bigger. BTW, If you have been running your A/C alot to keep the fan on, you might want to start monitoring your fan plug closely. It will start melting.

there was an issue with the 96 fans, customers who complained were upgraded to the later fan and shroud...

I've still got the 96 fan/shoud on mine, i changed the thermostat to a lower temp, and while i was tuning the car i adjusted the fans to come on at a lower temp, all seems good so far. And thats running with the 11psi on the supercharger so its got a lot of heat to disperse.

It seems like it is some type of sensor problem. I believe the engine coolant sensor is what tell the fan to come on once the temp gets past a certain point. The sensor that tells the fan to come on when the a/c is on is working. Maybe the fan is going out. Pearl02.

Hey guys, I have another question. I can get the replacement fan pretty cheap form RockAuto.com

If I choose the fan from a 98 model lets say... Will it fit on the 96 radiator or is it completeely different?

Just want to have all my bases covered.

Oh and Happy 2009 everybody!!!

Hey guys, I have another question. I can get the replacement fan pretty cheap form RockAuto.com

If I choose the fan from a 98 model lets say... Will it fit on the 96 radiator or is it completeely different?

Just want to have all my bases covered.

Oh and Happy 2009 everybody!!!

The 97-04 radiators are longer/taller & the fan shrouds also. Yes if you upgrade the fan, you will also need the matching radiator. Will also need rad brackets for 97-04 model car. The 96 top brackets are different & one of the bottom rad supports will need to be modified. The fans plug in the same & the 96 hoses can be reused. The long center bolt that runs from the bottom to top of the rad will need to be removed.