96 GT SOHC 4.6 to Mark VIII 4.6 DOHC swap

spitfirees20

Nov 17, 2006
Alright, I don't know if this is the right forum or not, but here goes. Right now I have a 94' Mark VIII, and it runs great, but the car itself inside and out is beat to ****. My plan is to get a 96-98 stang and put it in there. Now, since I have the Mark VIII, I have the computer, harness, transmission, engine, etc. In my research, I have found a couple of questions unanswered, and was hoping for some help:

- Assuming I have a 96-98 automatic stang, and a Mark VIII, will I basically have everything I need to do the swap?
- Will everything from the Mark VIII bolt into the mustang?
- After everythings installed, will it absolutely require a tune?

Any educated answers would be appreciated, and if this is the wrong forum mods could you please move this? Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

This website might be a better help to you.

www.modularfox.com

But the swap you are trying to do has been done before with great results. The Mark 8 engine will work fine, although the upper intake is different than the Mustang. If you can pick up a 96-98 Cobra intake/TB setup, you will basically have a 96-98 Cobra engine. A true dual exhaust and you'll be close to the 300HP rating as well and then Cobra bolt-ons will work with it.

I had a '93 Mark 8. I considered the same thing. Car was cray but the engine ran great with 83K miles. Wish i didn't sell it

Thanks! I'm looking at getting the intake/tb setup from a cobra, can't seem to find any yet but it's not really time for that yet. I looked all around on that site and I can't seem to find anyboody that's actually done the swap, but they had some other great swap info. Any more links or threads would be greatly appreciated!

WHile they may not have done the actual Mark 8 engine swap, a lot of it is going to be very similar to the 4.6L engine swaps they are doing.

You are actually in better shape since you are starting with a car that already had a 4.6L in it.

Engine will bolt right in and bolt up to your trans. Are you going automatic or staying stick? If stick, you'll need a flywheel. You'll need the compouter and engine wiring harness along with other misc parts

Not a whole lot of work to do this swap. It's definitely possible

What I want to do is keep the automatic from the Mark VIII and throw the whole engine/trans combo into the stang, is that possible? Also, what about the exaust, I'm assuming everything won't bolt into place there. I'm going with an aftermarket exhaust eventually, but if it's too much work to make a stock exhaust from the stang or the mark to work, I might as well just get one from the start.

Yes, it's possible. The Mark 8 uses a 4r70W trans just like the 99-04 Mustang. Unsure if the lenght is the same. Worse comes to worse you could just have a custom D/S made, but you might luck out and it will be a true bolt in.

As for the exhaust, any 96-98 Mustang exhaust should work. The 4.6L block is basically the same, so even though it's a DOHC motor, the stock SOHC GT exhaust should bolt up fine. I don't beleive the exhaust is a concern at all. You'll probably want to run some LT's and an h-pipe though for performance.

I actually found a guy through the SN95 forums who has done the swap before, and he said the best mustang to get is a 96-97 and he'll tell me what I need once I get a mustang. Thanks for all your help Mustang5L5! I just hope the driveshaft fits.