96 gt swap help

corey97svt

Aug 28, 2009
Knoxville, TN
Here is my questions. My wife has a 96 gt and we got some big plans, I came across a good deal on a p1sc kit that I couldn't pass up which brings me to my problem her car has 150k and is beginning to use some oil. I have a friend who has a low millage 03 gt pi 4.6. I already know I'll have to use her timing cover due to the bracket on the supercharger and I gotta use her fuel rails but what else is involved in this swap ? Any help will be awesome.. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

You will need to drill and tap the coolant cross over passage of the intake manifold on the drivers side for the drivers side coolant temperature sensor. 99-04 engines only had 1 sensor on the passenger side. 96-98 cars have two sensors, one on each side and each is for a different purpose so you cant just eliminate one.

You also need a custom tune.

Don't tap the plastic. The 03 engine should have a cast aluminum coolant cross over passage connected to the engine, where the 96 passage is plastic. Tap it where the sensor was originaly located, on the top of the passage next to the thermostat housing.

The heads have provisions for lifting built in. The heads are threaded for bolts on the drivers side in the front of the engine, on the outside of the head just under the valve cover. The passenger side lift point is located in the same place, but in the back. Both heads are actualy the same castings. The ford manual has you bolt on some lifting brackets which are chained to a spreader bar. I could find those brackets anywhere, so i just found some grade 8 bolts that fit and bolted large chains to the heads and connected the two chains to a spreader bar. Make sure the bolts are long enough. You want to engage as many threads as you can and make sure all your equipment is rated for the loads.

Make sure you have at least one other person helping when you are lifting/lowering or moving the engines around. Also, it's a good idea to remove both the fan and the radiator for clearance and to prevent damage.

Good luck, and be careful!

Also, find yourself a genuine ford service manual to make sure you don't miss anything. Any mistakes could cost you dearly.

hold up a minute, you all are forgetting the most important thing. are they both same (romeo or windsor) the romeo timing cover wont work with the windsor cover, or vise versa due to different bolt patterns(were it bolts to the heads). just thought id throw that in. oh and why would he need a tune. i swaped my p.i. engine in my 2000 gt for an npi, (of course i did the full pi swap), and dont have any issues. ???

hold up a minute, you all are forgetting the most important thing. are they both same (romeo or windsor) the romeo timing cover wont work with the windsor cover, or vise versa due to different bolt patterns(were it bolts to the heads). just thought id throw that in. oh and why would he need a tune. i swaped my p.i. engine in my 2000 gt for an npi, (of course i did the full pi swap), and dont have any issues. ???

Believe the windsors were only 99 through some 01's, and if he's doing a full engine swap it shouldnt matter anyway.

I swapped a 02 into my 98 and all I had to change was the fuel rails and tapping the intake crossover. I had to modify the coil pack mounting brackets also.

I thougt that windsor/romeo deal was from day 1, but ya if he's doin the full swap pulleys to flywheel hell have no problem. However if the 2003 is a windsor hell have to get another flywheel cause the windsor has an 8 bolt flywheel were as the romeo has a 6
Posted via Mobile Device

If I remember correctly the 96-98 were romeo's, 99-half of 01 were windsors then they went back to romeo. That's just talking about the mustang, the various other 4.6's in t-birds, f-150's and explorers and whatever else they were in I have no idea.

I believe that 03 engine is a Romeo.

The tune isn’t necessarily required, but I highly recommend it. The 03 motor has PI heads, PI cams, PI Intake and a slightly different compression ratio (I think) so it is significantly different (better) than the NPI motor he is swapping out. If it wasn’t any different, then why do the swap?

Get the tune :nice: