96 Gt what should I run in the 1/4

tjmaxx

Jun 21, 2004
I have a 96 Gt 5 spd, with 116k miles on it. It has a 2 1/2 inch x-pipe, 2 1/2 inch catback, short throw shifter, 4.10's, King Cobra clutch, Fenderwall intake, summit spark plug wires, and I just got some Nitto drag radials.

I was hoping for low 14's, do you think it could do it? The engine is still strong. It will be my first time at the track but when I get some driver experience do you guys and gals think I could run low 14's maybe a 14 flat?

• Sponsors (?)

Yea I just dont want to go to the track and be disapointed:shrug: If I really get into racing I will probably buy another Mustang like a Fox Body or something that way I can keep my 96 for cruising.

Just dont go to the track for the first time with too much confidence, lol.

Biggest thing is to make sure your comfortable with the car, you dont want to go missing gears or grinding them and look like a total newb.

The first time I went racing I lost to my freinds 04 vert pretty bad the first time, 2nd time was better, and the third when that cheating bastard took traction control off I got a good run and showed him who was boss, lol.

But hopefully I can get to go again, and if so I think ill be alot more confident behind the wheel.

If you can get it to hook out of the hole and get a decent 60' time, then you should run low 14s or better.:nice:

the hardest part is leaving off the line.

But, it's just pure fun when your out there doing it. Just go out and have fun and practice,practice.:nice:

Robuilt said:
well mine is a 97 GT, auto tranny.

mac cold air kit, offroad x-pipe, two chamber flows, a/c delete kit.

i ran 14.55 consistantly, 2.05 60 ft times.

you shuold do better with a 5 speed

Damn, is it just me or are those really good times for an auto non-pi with those mods??? Sweet.

BurningRubber said:
Damn, is it just me or are those really good times for an auto non-pi with those mods??? Sweet.

I was thinking the same thing. I don't think you should get him too pumped up I wouldn't doubt that in the middle of summer the best times he'll see will be mid to high 14's.

Yea just dont get mad if your first run is crap....the first few times I went I was dissapointed because I didnt know everything worked exactly...but with practice you will do good....I dont get to the track much and the best I have ran is a 14.10 at 101 which should get me 13s but I need that elusive driver mod:D :rlaugh:
Just make sure you have fun there thats all

I posted this in the wrong thread a minute ago lol.. but check out this car

Coramprat

he has a PI intake and comp camps... running at a track 12 feet above sea level on ET streets netted him a 13.82. I dont see a basically stock 96 getting low 14's. I am not saying this to be an ass I just want you to be realistic and not to dissapointed.