96 mustang gt clutch noise

darkhorse96

Dec 28, 2010
Lately my mustang has been making a noise when i press the clutch. It sounds like water being released. Except the noise only happens when the press the clutch and the car is on. It is also harder to put the car in first gear now.

There is no noise if i press the clutch when the car is off. Also the clutch is NOT slipping.

Does anyone know if this may be that the clutch cable may need to be adjusted or am i looking at a whole new clutch?

• Sponsors (?)

I agree, the release bearing is probably the culprit. My 96 started doing this at around 89k miles, eventually just gave out all at once with a horrendous squealing metal on metal noise. If you can, I would get it checked out ASAP. My release bearing was almost melded to the input shaft on my tranny once I was finally able to remove and check it out.

Well i kept on driving it around since then and today i heard that same horrendous metal squealing you heard. sigh.. I am thinking of just getting the whole clutch changed.

I found an Exedy clutch kiy on rockauto.com for 112.89 and I know a place that will change it for $250 labor. So I am looking at no more than $400 total. Is that a good price for a clutch replacement? Also does anyone have any good or bad experiences with an exedy clutch?? Thanks