Progress Thread 96 Mystic Cobra Build Thread

Discussion in '1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-' started by txredgt, Jul 12, 2012.

1. TMIproducts

TMIproducts Premium Sponsor

Showcase:
    Albums:
    Looking great!

2. txredgt

txredgt Well-Known Member

Thanks man glad to see you still in these parts.

:) Now I just need some motor work like you have going on

Thanks! Gotta figure out something to do with the seats and I'm undecided about that. It's not a project I'm looking to do soon though I want to change things up under the hood next.

3. txredgt

My wallet has gotten a bit lighter these past few months as I have scored some difficult items to find, I'll just let the pictures speak for themselves:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also I picked up some GMC Envoy foglights to swap those vs the stock Cobra foglights and I'll have some sweet HID's within 2-3 weeks as well. Also I installed a Bassani ORX and it sounds 10x better than before.

4. SteedaGT9150

SteedaGT9150 Advanced Member

Those seats look mint. By far the most comfortable seats I have ever sat in, and everyone else that rides in my car says the same thing.

5. txredgt

I sat in them when I got home and they felt awesome. They are in mint condition with just needing a good cleaning and leather conditioner to loosen it up just a bit. I can't wait to get them in.

On a side note I just got an IMRC code so that will be the first thing I need to do before installing mods, it's a never ending battle.

6. brtnstrns

brtnstrns Member

Wow man, those seats are in gooood condition. I bet it was a wee bit of dough for those. Back seats as well? Those tail lights are pretty sweet too.

My car finally made it to the shop for it's 4-wheel alignment and to fix the cock-eyed exhaust! Finally may get to actually get around to driving it without worry soon. Looks like you're on the same path!

7. TMIproducts

Showcase:
    Albums:
    Nice score on the seats - my suggestion to bring those things back to life is to go to Autozone or any other auto retailer and pick up some of Lexol's Cleaner and Conditioner - I use the cleaner with a light brush and wipe away all the old dirt - then put the conditioner on good and heavy, let it sit and wipe off the excess. Depending on how dry they are - you could condition them more than once, then just keep it up once a month. I have a 2003 and the leather is still like new. Again - nice find on both items!

8. txredgt

I was very happy to find these seats in the condition they are. I drove up from San Antonio to near Denton and back in the same day to get them even. They were $1K which I was very happy to find for that kind of a deal and yes they included the rear seats as well.

The taillights are more of a rarity being they were only on the 96-98 cars that were exported outside the US. I had the car running (or what I thought was running good) but I just got a CEL for the IMRC's so I am in the process of pulling the top of the intake off and cleaning those.

The leather I have that cleaning under control its the suede I am a bit more worried about. They have a very light hint of brown which I will need to clean and get them to looking like they rolled off the floor nearly 10 years ago.

9. TMIproducts

Showcase:
    Albums:
    light soap and warm water - using rag in a light swirl motion should help. Make sure you only have the rag damp, don't want to soak the seats. If you can clean them, then leave them in the sun - then clean them again - you should be in great shape. I'd just make sure to do it in small steps. It's not an actual suede, it's a synthetic suede - so it is not AS particular as real suede would be. G'luck.

And maybe I'm late to the party with this information - but I see you're building a Mystic Cobra, and we do have that NOS material here on the shelf .... just a thought.

10. txredgt

I've thought about that but it's Mystichrome and not Mystic. The mystichrome is a brighter look than the mystic is a darker color which is why I went with the dark suede inserts. I saw 1 car that had the mystichrome in their 96 mystic and it wasn't something I liked actually.

11. txredgt

Here's how the IMRC project is coming:

[​IMG]

12. Kornnut

Kornnut Founding Member

Those seats look amazing. I want a set bad for my car.

13. txredgt

I found them in your former part of the world. Picked them up near Denton and came back to San Antonio all in 1 day. Just found someone who was a little down on funds and had to fix their car quick and these were the most liquid part they could unload fast.

14. 03_TrueBlue_GT

03_TrueBlue_GT Active Member

Albums:
    Car looks great with the polished exhaust, sure am jelly.

15. txredgt

Thanks man I sure do appreciate it.

Working on getting it running again after these IMRC issues. I decided to go ahead and delete them while I'm at it.

16. txredgt

Seems like I cannot get ahead of this car and some bugs. After getting the IMRC's taken care of I swapped in the 03-04 seats and I really started to enjoy the car again. Went ahead and purchased subframe connectors and was just about ready to get them put on along with the HID's I picked up and some window tint redone until I blew a plug out of the passenger side head. I knew she was hurting and I don't have the knowledge on this level to diagnose/repair so I sent it to a local shop. They proceeded to do a compression and then leakdown test to reveal 0 compression in the #4 cylinder passenger side and 60% leakage as well.

So it's rebuild time of at least the heads and from what the general rule is I will need to get the shortblock done as well. Sounds like it is on to build time!

Option 1: C heads, cams, long tubes on a built short block

Option 2: C/B heads on a builtshort block with a turbo/centri as the end goal

Option 3: Terminator motor/trans swap, I already have most of these parts minus the motor and trans so why not go for a terminated mystic, it was my goal all along I just get to take it all on a little earlier than I had expected..

Thoughts out there?

17. tank_567

tank_567 Active Member

Cheaper than doing a engine rebuild, easy b/c it just bolts right in and better than running the car NA.

18. txredgt

That's my thoughts as well. The ONLY worry is I am putting in a used motor. I know they can handle a lot of miles but I can't be swapping this in to have it go down on me 6 months later. Everything is plug and play with it if I purchase the complete setups from the few on ebay correct?

The motor/trans would come out along with fuel tank. Engine wiring harness, computer in the passenger foot well and the wiring behind the dash also come out too. Anything else I am missing that would be pulled out for the 03-04 pieces?

19. tank_567

tank_567 Active Member

The gauge cluster, you need it to run the stock 03/04 cobra's computer. Also, the harness for the trans, your going from the old gear style to the digital. You can always go an cheaper/easier rout and reuse your stock wiring harness and computer, just have it retuned. You would just need to find a place to mount the coil packs.

20. SteedaGT9150

SteedaGT9150 Advanced Member

termi swap ftw! sorry about your luck man.