96 not starting, I think it may be a fuse but I'm not sure. PLEASE ADVISE! Thanks!

Labinnac

May 1, 2003
Blue Law HELL!
Ok, I hopped in the car this morning and turned the key and the dash lit up and then blinked off right away. No click or anything and the starter didn't even have time to start. After that the car was dead as a doornail. Turned the key and got nothing...

It's a 96 with about 55k on the Odometer and just exhaust and a filter upgrade. I was out cruising last night and it didn't give me any problems or signs of distress. It was rainy and cold as hell this morning and I didn't have time to check anything or do any troubleshooting before work.

Last time I had something similar happen it was a blown fuse. That's the first thing I plan to check this time too but wanted to tap the cast knowledge base that is the SVT forum on Stangnet to see what others think it may be.

Thanks in advance!

• Sponsors (?)

If the starter isn't clicking at all, I'm not sure what it would be...but if the starter does click once when you turn the key, it's most likely a bad engine ground...to check if that's the problem take your jumper cables, hook one end up to the negative terminal of your battery and the other end to a bolt on on your engine block somewhere such as the alternator bolt or the power steering bracket bolt...if the car starts you'll have to move the ground on the drivers side of the engine(behind the oil filter) to another bolt on your engine...

I had this problem last summer and that's what fixed it for me...It's a known problem on DOHC's...

Good luck with it...

I agree with Missouri. Sounds like what happened to mine when the battery died in it. I jumped in and went to the gas station, filled up, turned the key and did exactly that. Click for a second then nothing. I was able to jump it off but once I got home and tried to start it again it was completely dead again. Had to replace the battery and that was that. May be a fuse but that's exactly what mine did when it was the battery.