96 PBR CALIPERS ON MY 88FOX

88gt373

Dec 29, 2010
I just picked up some calipers off a 96 gt i saw at pick n pull...

these numbers are on the caliper it self:
no 42614444
no 4611693

how can i get these on my 88 and is will it be worth the headache? im planning on getting 94-95 spindles for a 5lug in the future..

i got the calipers, bolts, banjo bolts and break lines.
tomorrow im goin back to get these 94 spindles....

so i can i get these to work on the 88gt??? thanks:flag:

• Sponsors (?)

You need a Weatherhead Adapter for the Passenger Side. I personally would not bother with those Steel Single Piston Calipers as they are not much better than Stock Fox, a much better choice would be 99-04 Aluminum Twin Piston Calipers.

You need a Weatherhead Adapter for the Passenger Side. I personally would not bother with those Steel Single Piston Calipers as they are not much better than Stock Fox, a much better choice would be 99-04 Aluminum Twin Piston Calipers.

i dont think these are 'standard' brakes for a 96... when i searched the numbers i put up there it came back as like a cobra brake from some years like 94-04 or some thing.. but these ones i picked up are two piston aluminum calipers... alot bigger than fox ones... by not standard i mean i think the guy took those brakes off another car as an upgrade i also saw some after market stuff like bushings shocks springs and lots of stickers... haha but mostly the car was torn up...

im sure im going to have to swap out my master cylinder/booster.. im also gonna put discs in the rear too....

See 87-93  Ford Fox Body Mustang Brake Upgrades for the best and cheapest brake upgrades and 5 lug swaps. The site doesn't sell anything but some fittings, but the tech notes are great. It tells you what junkyard or remanufactured parts to use to upgrade your brakes. It has almost everything you could want to know about Mustang brakes on it

Yes, you can use them. No, they aren't the single puck jobs off the V6 and GT. If you got the brackets with them, you're ahead of the game. They use a smaller rotor than the Cobra brakes and make it easier on wheel selection if you have any interest in runing a rim with a smaller inside diameter.

Mustang5L5 (he's a member here) is great at being able to answer specific questions about what you're trying to do. I pick his brain quite a bit. Now all I need to do is find the time and motivation to pull the damned trigger. hehe

i dont think these are 'standard' brakes for a 96... when i searched the numbers i put up there it came back as like a cobra brake from some years like 94-04 or some thing.. but these ones i picked up are two piston aluminum calipers... alot bigger than fox ones... by not standard i mean i think the guy took those brakes off another car as an upgrade i also saw some after market stuff like bushings shocks springs and lots of stickers... haha but mostly the car was torn up...

im sure im going to have to swap out my master cylinder/booster.. im also gonna put discs in the rear too....

Do ypu have pictures of the calipers? Really need to know what you have to make proper recommendations. There are three PBR calipers, and two designs of the cobra type. Which one you have will influence which MC you ultimately choose to run.

And yes...they will be worth the effort. :)

Do ypu have pictures of the calipers? Really need to know what you have to make proper recommendations. There are three PBR calipers, and two designs of the cobra type. Which one you have will influence which MC you ultimately choose to run.

And yes...they will be worth the effort. :)

NICE! im glad i bought these.... im going to post some pics tonight....

DSCF1100.jpg
[/IMG]

DSCF1099.jpg
[/IMG]

AND I GOT THE BRACKETS OFF THE 96 STANG TOO...

I want to be run discs in the rear too and try and keep my booster if thats possible... m/c i dont mind changing and P/V aswell. They look kinda beat up, but after a good overhaul and fresh powder coating in red or black it should look sick behind some cobras or 5spoke wheels!!!!.. so guys... HOW CAN THESE GET ON THE STANG W/ 94-95 HUBS? THANKS

Those aren't 94-98 cobra calipers...they look like c4 corvette calipers or 1LE camaro calipers. Did you get the rotors or the mounting bolts as well?

Any pic of the brackets?

They should work if they are c4 vette calipers as they are the same as what is used on the 1993 cobra r and what was on the 94-98 cobra.

If they are 1LE calipers, they are 12" and you'll need the rotors

5L5... those look to me like Mustang Calipers. They look like the same set that I have polished waiting for installation. *pause* I was sitting here trying to think about it but can't remember what specific Stang they came from.

I remember that the single puck calipers were on the 95/96 V6/GT. I think maybe 98-99 GT???

I can post up the part number when I get back to the house. I'm near positive they came from a Stang though.

What do his part numbers in the first post come up as?

Well yes, the design is just like the Cobra calipers, but the only year the Cobra received the "ribbed face" caliper was the 1993 Cobra R. Some aftermarket kits may have come with the calipers as well.

I think SSBC sold kits with those calipers as well..but they were also OEM on the vette. Difference is the vette uses larger mounting bolts so just want to make sure the spindles werent redrilled for them
vemp-1105-08+c4-corvette-brakes.jpg

Attachments

• vemp-1105-08+c4-corvette-brakes.jpg
    vemp-1105-08+c4-corvette-brakes.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 202
Ugh... I'll have to send you pics of the ones I intend to use. They're PBR dual piston, larger than the Cobra calipers (overall physical size), and have ribs but not as pronounced as the ones in the pics above. I think they're for an 11 inch rotor.

Those aren't 94-98 cobra calipers...they look like c4 corvette calipers or 1LE camaro calipers. Did you get the rotors or the mounting bolts as well?

Any pic of the brackets?

They should work if they are c4 vette calipers as they are the same as what is used on the 1993 cobra r and what was on the 94-98 cobra.

If they are 1LE calipers, they are 12" and you'll need the rotors

they do look like 1LE calipers now that you say that..... i did get the bracket and bolts. But no i didnt get the rotors cuz they were f'd up.. they look like around 12" or so but i didnt measure they were deff bigger than stock... i have the p/n in my first post if that helps.. vette stuff did come up when i googled the p/n's... but so did cobra stuff...

they did really come off a 96 stang tho... i pulled them my self and it was a B***H!!! lol...

they do look like 1LE calipers now that you say that..... i did get the bracket and bolts. But no i didnt get the rotors cuz they were f'd up.. they look like around 12" or so but i didnt measure they were deff bigger than stock... i have the p/n in my first post if that helps.. vette stuff did come up when i googled the p/n's... but so did cobra stuff...

they did really come off a 96 stang tho... i pulled them my self and it was a B***H!!! lol...

More than likely they are 38mm calipers compatible with the mustang. Post a pic of them side profile with the mounting bracket. I'll be able to tell from site.

As to which size caliper, look at the pistons. Ribbing on the pistons like left are 38mm pistons like 94-98 cobra. Flat piston bores like right are 99-04 cobra/bullitt/Mach calipers and are 40.5 mm pistons

View attachment 184314

5L5.... Here's the ones I've got:

img4208k.jpg

img4207rp.jpg

sorry i didnt post a pic in time... but the one here is exactly what i have...shape p/n and all... so how can i use them?? is it possible to use them with a 4 lug config?? prob no but thought id ask...

Attachments

• img4208k.jpg
    img4208k.jpg
    297.3 KB · Views: 173
  • img4207rp.jpg
    img4207rp.jpg
    381.5 KB · Views: 132
They'll bolt to a 94+ spindle but I've not heard of anyone trying to use them in a 4 lug configuration. Even if you could, it uses a 13 in. rotor... be kinda hard to find a rim large enough to accommodate, that wasn't a 22 and 4 inches wide. lol