Engine 96 Pi Heads And Bolt Ons..

arena314

Sep 15, 2015
I have a 96 gt with pi heads catless pypes xpipe with magnaflow mufflers 373 gears in the rear I think. Tremic 3650 trans bama tune and cold air intake. I'm pretty sure that's all I have but not 100% because I bought the car like that but I was wondering if you guys would be able to give me a ball park rwhp number based on the mods I listed. Someone told me I'm looking at about 300 crank and between 260-280 wheel but I'm not sure so what do you guys think? Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah I was thinking around there too. Soon I'm going to do a throttle body and I want to do cams but it'll be a while till I do that. I'm trying to get my car around 300 wheel

Reactions: 1 user
I'm interested in this as well. I'm in the process of trying to locate parts for the pi swap. And wanting to know about more bolt ons

Sent from my Z830 using Tapatalk

Well with the mods my car has done to it it really makes a huge difference compared to Even a stock pi motor. It really moves pretty good I'd say it's just as fast as my brothers 3v 4.6 but his only has a muffler delete. But I'm just trying to get some more from it

Well with the mods my car has done to it it really makes a huge difference compared to Even a stock pi motor. It really moves pretty good I'd say it's just as fast as my brothers 3v 4.6 but his only has a muffler delete. But I'm just trying to get some more from it
Mine is in shop now getting headers installed with two cat delete and two resanators removed. Still looking for the pi swap parts.

Sent from my Z830 using Tapatalk

My old 96 was at 235 rwhp with Comp 262 cams, PI Intake, catback exhaust, 75mm throttle body and a Trickflow plenum. All of those mods except the cams and intake I was at about 180HP at the wheels. Another 96 that dyno'd the same day was at 174. After the cams, intake and a tune it put me at 235.

The PI swap could have gotten you up to 260 but that is a stretch. A stock 99-04 GT had 260 at the crank and basically that is what you have. 225-230 is more realistic. My mods on my car now (see signature below) and I am at about 340 HP on a Dynojet. My tune was on a Mustang dyno which is why I show those numbers in my sig.

Not necessarily. Driver is a mod too. I used to beat Z28's at the track and beat an SS twice until he learned to shift. They all had 100+ more HP than me.

Don't underestimate the gears. That may put you in the powerband faster and out accelerate the other guy.

And BTW this recently started happening as it got a little colder out. When my car is cold I guess the first 10-15 minutes of driving its hard to get it in gear. It doesn't grind or anything its just hard to get it in then once it warms up its fine. I have a tremic 3650

That temp shouldn't make a difference. Hard to get into gear is bearings. Sounds like they are not getting lubed up right away. Might try a different type of tranny fluid. I've had some luck with Lucas Oil transmission additive.