'96 T-Bird as a DD?

pedro

Founding Member
May 20, 2001
Hello guys! I'm trying to buy a daily driver/commuter car and came up to a '96 T-Bird with a 4.6L engine with about 70K miles. What to you think? Are they reliable? I really like the interior and the softer ride. She'll be driven for about 40-50 miles per day. Should I go for it?

• Sponsors (?)

I say go for it. My mom has a 96 T-bird that my dad bought new. It has 120k miles on it and runs as good as the day she got it, the only thing is the trans is getting worn out and slips alittle. It still gets 26mpg and has enough power to easily get in and out of fast moving traffic, it also has the sports suspension which had bigger brakes and wheels.

You might want to check and see if it was takin in for the intake manifold recall, the original intake manifolds would crack around 70k miles and cause coolant to get into the combustion chamber.

Definitly nice cars! I had a 90 tbird, my buddies have ones such as....90XR7 SC, 90 XR7 SC, 92 SC, 95 3.8L, 94 4.6, 97 4.6L, 97 4.6L sport...doing a PI swap now.

Definitly nice cars and reliable.

Check on the maniflold crack, also they have been known to have BAD front ends...My tbird I put 1G in front end work then when I sold it the guy had to put 3 new ball joint in.

Nice cars I love them...I would say jump on it!

Jay

PS Take the resonator(SP?)...out my buddies sounds just like a newer stang!