'96 v6 Stalled in traffic -help

MustangAnnie

Aug 14, 2007
I drive a 96 base model mustang convertible (200,000 miles+) It's been a good little car. My last tune up was about 1 year ago. My beloved pony stalled in stop/ go rush hour traffic on the expressway this morning in San Antonio. It didn't shake/shutter, it just turned off as I accelerated from a stop. I panicked and tried to restart in drive. Realized my mistake, shifted into park and started after a couple of attempts, so I drove it back home no problem and got my backup--jeep. I have had to replace oxygen sensors 2x before but those stalls usually were accompanied by strong odor of gas. I had none of that this morning. I admit I was bordering on empty (gas) but not drained just yet. I'm afraid to drive it. I'm thinking of taking it in for new plugs, gas filter, pcv valve, air filter and of course fill up tank. Or should I just gas it up and add gas treatment. Do you all think any of this will take care of it? How often do sensors require switching out? Any advice other than the obvious (don't drive close to empty) :( in San Antonio

• Sponsors (?)

Could be a clogged fuel filter (easy and cheap replacement that you just ought to do), fuel pump (Measure fuel pump pressure (after you replace the fuel filter))

If non of this seems to be the problem, then I'd attribute it to vapor lock (It was hot right?), fill up the tank (keeping your tank full is always a good idea ;)) and don't look back.

P.S. since you drive the same car as I do, I have a question for you. I'll send a PM so as to not hijack your thread.