96 v6 to 5.0 swap questions

my84gt912

Jul 22, 2011
i have a 96 v6 5 speed,,I plan to do a 5.0 roller swap in it and was wondering if it would bolt right in with 94-95 5.0 motor mounts and 94-95 gt headers and exhaust will bolt on.also can i use the v6 t5 if I change the bell houseing and and will the stock clutch cable,arm work and do i get a clutch for a 94 or 95 5.0?

• Sponsors (?)

As far as the motor and harness goes I'm pretty sure that it will swap over fairly easily. Correct me if I'm wrong but the harness should swap out right buy the radiator.

The chassis is the same, so you can do the swap. It all depends on how many parts you have to swap over. It would be easier if you had a wrecked 5.0 to take parts from, otherwise you'll have a hard time tracking down the wiring harnesses, brackets etc that you will need.

You should be able to re-use the k-member, the 94-98 V6's all had the same basic engine, so the 5.0 should drop right in. However, you may need to completely replace the dash and engine compartment wiring harnesses. I know 94 and 95 shared the same in-dash harnesses, and believe 96 customized them for the different models. Not sure about the T5.

the 5.0 I want to put in will be carbbed,I have a hei dizzy and a 3g alternator converted to one wire hook up.I'm gonna put in aftermarket mech. gauges( oil,temp,volt) so I wont need to change the harness.does the 96 k-member have holes for the 5.0 mounts?

The front crossmembers / K-Members are one in the same.

If he was going EFI with the 5.0L, does anyone know if the car being an OBD-II vehicle and the engine being OBD-I would cause any major (if any) issues?

OBD II to OBD I is not a problem, I did that on my Cobra clone conversion (V6 to Cobra) . All 94-95 cars have the OBD II port under the dash; all the dash wiring is the same, actually. I believe you can use the V6 instrument cluster, but the calibrations for the needles would obviously be off. The OBD I plugs are on the computer harness, which you do need to swap. The engine harness should come with the engine; the under hood fuse box harness can be re-used. The juncture between that harness and the computer harness is under the air box. There is a harness difference between ABS and non-ABS; if you don't want ABS, you can ignore it. The ABS harness adds two extra wires, but the remaining pin-outs are the same.