'97 Cobra - Can't Turn Key To Off

5.0 Nostalgia

10 Year Member
Feb 28, 2003
CT
Hey guys,

When I went to turn the key to shut my car off the other day, the ignition cylinder turned loosely and the car wouldn't shut off. I played with it for a couple minutes, but finally had to pull a plug out from one of the coils to stall the car. I popped the ignition cylinder out and couldn't really find anything wrong with it, so I don't know if there is a problem with this or the column. I stuck another cylinder from a 2004 Ranger in to see if I could get the ignition to the off position but it still spun too loosely. If I try to connect the battery, everything tries to turn on because the part in the column that the ignition cylinder goes into is still in the on position.

Anyone have any idea what might be wrong? The car is at least in my garage right now.

Thanks for your help.

• Sponsors (?)

97MUSTANGCOLUMN2.png

I forgot the SN95s still used that complicated system with the switch mounted to the outside of the column and a bunch of different parts that push and pull on the switch. Here's the diagram from the parts catalog, with all of the related parts highlighted for you, with part numbers.

Thanks for the diagram! I began taking the column apart. Guessing that I will be able to take just the front off and see if I can find something broken or just replace that part. Is it possible to connect the battery back up so I can move the seat back? I removed the airbag and steering wheel.

As long as nothing is touching anything that will short it out, it should be okay to do for a short period of time to move the seat.

97MUSTANGCOLUMN2.png

I forgot the SN95s still used that complicated system with the switch mounted to the outside of the column and a bunch of different parts that push and pull on the switch.

Yeah, what's up with that stupid key release setup? Why did they think that's necessary? I can't say I've seen other cars with that...my Explorer doesn't have it, nor my dad's Fusion, nor my girlfriend's Equinox...

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, what's up with that stupid key release setup? Why did they think that's necessary? I can't say I've seen other cars with that...my Explorer doesn't have it, nor my dad's Fusion, nor my girlfriend's Equinox...
I don't know, but almost every Ford I've owned has had it, but all but three of my Fords were from the 80s or older.

I don't know, but almost every Ford I've owned has had it, but all but three of my Fords were from the 80s or older.

Well, I went and Googled it. It seems it's a safety feature to prevent the steering wheel from locking up if the vehicle stalls out while in motion. The stuff I've read says it's only on vehicles with manual transmissions but I know my '77 Ghia had it...and it was an automatic. My '03 GT definitely has it as it is manual, and I want to say my '99 V6 coupe with an auto had it but I can't be certain. The other vehicles I referenced in my previous post are all automatics so that would explain the lack of that switch in those...if what I read is correct.