97 cobra coupe?

Gtwo

Previously 984.65spd
Jan 22, 2012
arcadia florida
Ok, found a car I'm interested in to replace my crashed one. Its a 1997 cobra 5spd. Ive done some research but that never was one of my strong points, what are the pros and cons of this year and the basic stuff everybody knows, I believe this is one of the years for the teskid block? Any one verify that? Also whats the safe power level for this motor? I'm thinking its blown.

Next stupid question....
Is 8lbs boost high or low, how much can they take?
I've never had a supercharged motor before if you can't tell, more dumb questions to follow I'm sure.:rolleyes:

• Sponsors (?)

How much can the stock bottom end take?
Can I up it to 10-12 or maybe even 14-15lbs?

I just need schooled on the 97 cobra motor I guess.
Is it forged?
Can i spray it to?
Do I need an intercooler?
What about meth?
Ever seen anybody ask so many dumb questions?

i don't know much about the 4.6's. but as far as the s/c and spray goes, i know there are certain set ups for superchargers, and certain ones for spray. thing such as your cam, rocker arms, springs and such will benefit one or the other. i don't have alot of experience with either, but i know i have rarely seen anyone run both. not saying that it hasn't been done, but if it was easy, i think alot more people would have done it

How much can the stock bottom end take? ~450rwhp. Those cobras had forged cranks, but the same rods and pistons as the GT. Thats where they fail.
Can I up it to 10-12 or maybe even 14-15lbs? 10-12 maybe, 14-15 no.

I just need schooled on the 97 cobra motor I guess.
Is it forged? Yes and no. The crank is forged and the block is a REALLY good block. More than likely, its a teksid. The pistons and rods are crap. They are good for N/A applicatoins, but not for a lot of boost.
Can i spray it to? You could. I know a few people who do it, but you are at the same thing. Once you get over ~450, its just a timebomb.
Do I need an intercooler? Yes, yes, yes, yes, and incase I didnt say it, YES.
What about meth? Meth can help, but it is a just a bandaid on the bigger problem. Ask yourself, why do you need meth? What happens if you NEED meth and you run out while you are out on the town?
Ever seen anybody ask so many dumb questions

You can run some boost, get you 400 or so, and go all day. If you want to go a lot more, you have to build it. The good thing, you already would have a forged crank and would only need the rods and pistons. While you are at it, you could start to look for some of the newer heads. The 97-98 heads are crap, the 99-01 heads are ok, the 03-04 heads are beast.

If it were me....I would forge the engine, find a set of take-off 03-04 heads with cams, get a sullivan, hogan or similar intake and put a Procharger F1 on it. Then the sky is the limit. It isnt cheap, but that is just what I would do.

If you have more questions, just ask. I would have answered this earlier, but I have been busy :p