97 Cobra....drove it, not impressed

96.shadow.4.6

Jul 24, 2010
There is a 97 cobra for sale near my house so i went over and test drove it...its a private seller so he was cool about it.....first off as soon as he started it...it pinged down near the tire/fenderwell.....that automatically scared me....then we took it for a test drive and to be honest it didnt put me back into my seat like my 96 gt does??? whats going on? i have a 96 convertible gt and its pretty much stock other than the k&n filter and flows. My tranny is bad and vibrates as i accelerate...and still i felt a stronger pull...can anyone explain this to me? why does the cobra feel slower?

• Sponsors (?)

There is a 97 cobra for sale near my house so i went over and test drove it...its a private seller so he was cool about it.....first off as soon as he started it...it pinged down near the tire/fenderwell.....that automatically scared me....then we took it for a test drive and to be honest it didnt put me back into my seat like my 96 gt does??? whats going on? i have a 96 convertible gt and its pretty much stock other than the k&n filter and flows. My tranny is bad and vibrates as i accelerate...and still i felt a stronger pull...can anyone explain this to me? why does the cobra feel slower?

Engine has quite a few issues if it pulls harder than your basically stock GT.. I would guess compression would also be an issue. I am no expert but something air/fuel/spark is not right at all.

No offense, but if your 96 GT feels faster than a 97 Cobra, either someone slipped a built high compression 2V in your car, or the 97 Cobra has major issues.

The Cobra should have a 100 hp advantage, & a 20-30 tq advantage over your GT.

Also, you really have to get the 96-98 Cobra's up in the high RPM's to really feel the power potential, down low they aren't very impressive.

I was saying that the Cobra motor has issues. If your seriously interested in the car take it to a reputable shop and have them do a compression test as well as a general go-through. Maybe your car could be geared though and not know about it? Doubtful but figured I would ask.

im not sure what my car has

as bad as it sounds im actually clueless about my cars engine. i havent changed anything on the car since i bought it. but to be honest ive raced 99+ gts and hung...which gets me to think previous owner did pi swap? and i went to a gear shop and they told me i had 3.27 but they were probably trying to get me into getting 4.10s when i really had 3.73s....but like i said i honestly thought that was how my gt was supposed to perform...never driven any other mustang so i dont know the difference between pi and non pi. btw im at 2200 rpm @ 70mph

I would get it dyno'ed or take it to the track. The only two ways I know to tell for sure (besides calling the previous owner) if it has a PI cam without ripping things apart. :shrug:

nope its a cobra for sure...big 32v v8 under that hood i checked it out pretty good...and about my gt i should get it dynoed but all there is around here is import car shops and none of the american muscle shops have dynos

2200 rpms, auto, and 70mph, sounds like 355s-373s. Definitly a big change there, but is all it took to feel the difference, I turned down a 98gt s/c with 8psi cause my car trapped an 1/8th mile 4mph slower and I had a .2 second quicker 60ft. Yea he got down thrack before I did but I'm buying it.

i have a 5 spd would there be a difference in the rpms if it were auto?

Yep.. Different trans are geared differently. Even T45 and 3650's have slightly different ratios I think. When ppl put what RPM they are when they change the gears should only be a guide and not an exact science as every car is very similar but still unique. Auto's and 5spds are pretty different just like 5 spd and 6 spds are.

Probably needs a tune up, a DOHC 4V should pretty much embarrass a non-PI GT once you get past 1 and 2nd gear.

Def get it checked out by a mechanic if you're really interested in it.

Like others said gears really do wonders for 4v motors I hear.