97 cobra...factory thermostat what degree?

Hey guys, I just bought a 97 cobra and absolutely love the car. Well only issue I have is I live in Va and here lately idling around town the car's temp gauge is runnin past half and as much as 3/4 when in traffic at a light. If I cut the a/c on it runs just a little past half. I put the scan tool on it and drove it around and the hottest it saw was about 206 degrees idling at a stoplight. Get back on the road and it runs between 188-195 w/o a/c on. With a/c slightly cooler. I changed the antifreeze and the thermostat. I put a factory replacement thermo in it. What I am wondering is what degree thermo did the 97's come with. If it is anything over 180 then I am going to try a 180 to cool this puppy down a little bit. I agree it is not runnin that hot but I hate seeing the gauge where it is at. Any help will be appreciated. The car has 34k miles on it.

• Sponsors (?)

I believe the stock thermostat is rated for 192 degrees. I have read that some of the guys go to a 180 to get a little cooler. But don't get greedy and try for less. The computer will think the car is still warming up and change parameters for the engine affecting driveability, gas mileage, emissions, etc.

hey it's a 192/195 thats what the book calls for stock, I read in the sean hyland book that you can go as low as 180,but not to go any lower or poor performance can occur . They also say on the 96-98 cobras you can use a 99 cobra water pump which has a different impeller design, which prevents cavitation and improves circulation. Hope this helps!

fireman2004 said:
hey it's a 192/195 thats what the book calls for stock, I read in the sean hyland book that you can go as low as 180,but not to go any lower or poor performance can occur . They also say on the 96-98 cobras you can use a 99 cobra water pump which has a different impeller design, which prevents cavitation and improves circulation. Hope this helps!
You can but if you have pullies you need to watch out because the pullies for a 98 and older are different because of that Water Pump change in 99.