97 cobra?

BrutalStang

Aug 2, 2004
PA
there is a 97 black SVT cobra at my local car sense. for 10,700.

my questions are these, will it feel much faster then my 03 GT? and will it handle better?

next is, is that a good price? it has 68,000 miles on it.

thanks for any help guys!

• Sponsors (?)

well they push 305hp and the 05's push 300hp, the jury is still out on the power potential of the 3v motors, but the 4v cars have proven to make great power with blowers and turbos, if you want to take it that far...

thats what i thought, but i just wasnt really sure. since the power is about the same, i figured weight would come into play, and i think the cobra would weigh less.

basically im still looking at other options of cars, because its gonna be a shock when i get the 06 and start paying out the hole for it.

does anyone know of any outstanding issues with the 97 cobras? i know SVT had a mishap in 99, but anything in 97? thanks again!

Not too sure about the 97 cobra, but I had a 98 and now own a 96 and I haven't had any major problems. You can go to www.scoa.org or www.svtoa.com

One of the two has recall information on every year cobra.

On the old '98 I had, either the AIT sensor (Air Intake Temperature) or the MAP (Manifold Ambient Pressure) sensor went bad, but was fixed under warranty. It wouldn't be that hard to fix if I had to do it myself.

My '96 does just fine for me. They have the potential to handle very well if you add subframe connnectors, good shocks and correct spring rates, and roll bar rates for aftermarket stuff. Don't skimp out on aftermarket parts and just do it right the first time, b/c after all it is a Cobra.

As far as late-model GTs go, the aftermarket might be more developed for that generation of late-model stangs, but the 4-valve head is going to make more power and especially in the upper RPMs. Also, the motor of the earlier Cobra is better equipped for power adders, 'cause it'll have 6-bolt main caps instead of 4 or 2, the crankshaft is forged steel and will easily handle 1000+ HP, the only thing you have to worry about if you are concerned with big power is, the oil pump gears, bigger volume oil pan, main stud girdle, better rods, pistons, and rings. The valvetrain on a 97 SVT is suited to go up to 7000 RPM stock. It is worth the money to get the SVT, especially if it is that generation b/c the price difference is nearly negligible when that old. Also, the 96-98 Cobra block is probably the best one made yet. SHM claims that this block (made in Teskid, Italy) will handle 1500 HP when it is properly prepped and it is reinforced with items such as a main stud girdle, ARP head, rod, and main bolts. Not too shabby. Sorry I'm talking my @$$ off about Cobras again, but I would go with SVT muscle. You'll see bigger gains out of it

Take care and enjoy.

I have a 97 with the few mods you'll see in my sig. I have driven both an '05 GT and stage1 Roush recently. I'd say 0-60 they are close, but over 60 it's the Cobras race! Handling is a different story. The '05 has the upper hand here due to the three link rear suspension and new stronger body. However with subframe connectors and a good spring/shock/strut package, the 96-98 Cobras are close. The Cobra is also about 150 pounds lighter coupe to coupe. As for the price, I'd say it's a little high for the miles. Offer $9500 and be willing to go close to $10k. Don't pay a penny more.